Upper Prior ice

• dallgood
    Savage,MN

For those looking for metro ice, I fished Upper Prior today. Walked out from the launch and fished the channel on the left side of the island. There was 6-7″ of decent ice. Saw several portables and someone pulled a permanant out with a four wheeler. managed a few perch and some gills.

marty28
    Mendota Heights, MN

Did you manage to find any crappies or walleyes?

dallgood
    Savage,MN

Talked to a couple people leaving the ice before me and no one caught crappies or walleyes. The better fishing is off the beach and by the island on lower Prior. But from what I’ve heard the ice is not as good over there, so I thought I’d try Upper. Anyone else have any reports on Prior?

marty28
    Mendota Heights, MN

I plan on heading out there tomorrow nite. We’ve usually had good luck with the crappies from about 5-9 at night.

mpoot
    Eagan, MN

I was fishing on lower prior yesterday between 12pm-3pm on the left side of the island and caught a lot of sunnies (some were good size) and two small crappies. I was on upper prior a few times last week and only got very small perch. We even walked out to the rock pile in front of Captain Jacks. Unfortanetly there were only small perch there too. There is open water by sand point because the lake is so shallow there, but if you walk out past the open water you can get to the island with ease.

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Fishing was slow for us. We worked for all the fish we cautght. We were on lower Prior between the beach and island. We ended up with a few nice sunnies and a couple nice crappies. The ice is about 8 inches thick with the top 2 inches being bad ice but the rest is good. It was “thundering” the whole time we were out so we should see a positive impact on the ice by next weekend.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.