What kind of line do you use on your Tip Ups

• krisko
    Durand, WI

I was just asked this question the other day about what kind of line I use on my tip ups and the way I rig them for walleyes. Well first I must admit I don’t fish for walleye’s much on tip ups. I do go after bass and northern. I use braid line on my tip ups…most of the time it is Power Pro….If I do fish walleyes I put on a mono leader.

So how does everyone else rig their tip ups?? I’m sure their has to be a lot of different combinations out there.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I use the black teflon coated nylon line…(standard tip-up line)…and then use some type of fluorocarbon leader..

mskyfshntchr
    Dodge Center, MN

I’ll use a black tip up line, anywhere from 20-50# test. Then I tie a snap swivel to it.
    If I am pike fishing, I’ll use a quick strike rig or a leader, both of which have barrel swivels on the end. So, right to the snap swivel it goes.
    If I am walleye fishing, I have some lines pretied. I’ll use a lindy spinner holder to put them on. One one end is a barrel swivel, the other end is the hook. I tie up a variety of lines, depending upon the situation. Fluro, mono or stren super braid. So, choose the one I want and hook it right to the snap swivel.
    This system makes changing quick and easy. A lot of spots I fish will hold pike in the day and the walleyes will come through it later. So, I just change whenever I feel like it without having to redrill holes or move.

col._klink
    St Paul

Ditto! cept no mono leader just a steal leader. Then a blood red tiny spinner blade and a red treble! The only way to go.

jbob
    Hastings, MN

Take a look at the new Berkley tip up line. It is teflon coated and stays limp in cold weather.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I like to use braided line in the 50-80# class depending on the diameter. I like the line thick enough that I can feel it good in my hands while playing out the fish, but not so thick that it holds a lot of water and makes it hard to spool back on. This is especially important in very cold conditions.

I use mono leaders for eyes and make Tyger Line leaders for my pike rigs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.