Jigging Spoon Question

• doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I am wondering how everyone ties their Go Devils, etc. Since it is important to switch colors/sizes in reaction to the fish do most people tie them straight to the line, or use a swivel/clasp type set-up?

For speed of the change the clasp would seem to be best, but is it better to tie directly to the line?

Wondering everyone’s opinion on how they fish spoons. I currently tie directly…thinking of going to clasp for ease when changing lures.

Thanks

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I use a small ball bearing swivel. This helps with line twist and lets the bait move freely.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I usually just use a medium small snap with a barrel tied in line about 18″ above it.
    JB

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I like to use Fast Snaps. They make for less hardware than a swivel by the jig/spoon. They come in 3 sizes.
    If line twist is a concern you can put a striaght swivel on your line and run a long leader. This just keeps things around the jig/spoon a little cleaner on the days the bite is tough.

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Great!
    Thanks for the quick replies. This confirms my thoughts about making the change from tying directly.

Plus…another reason to head to the store to get “supplies”

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

$100 later and he will have forgotten why he went to get supplies to begin with. and if I think he is heading to fleet farm, you can’t go 10 feet into that fishing section without having to stop and look at something. good luck on the supplies

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I hear you there!
    Better write this down so I don’t forget about them…cause like you said I am bound to get distracted

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I have done good, I have managed to stay away from fleet farm until later today, I have to go and meet the snap-on dealer in the parking lot, got a wish list that I need to get picked up. then Imight take the kids and go and browse the fishing section and look at my future purchases until mom comes home

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Just do what I do then, get 3 of everything untill your out of dough

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

yeah that would be good until the wife say the final bill

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Keep in mind if you add a swivel above your spoon, its more than likely going to show up on your flasher and annoy the $%*& out of you.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Derek we need to talk, it sounds like it is the little things in life that bother you

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

My anger management classes are really starting to urine me off.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

starting?????

timmy

Quote:

My anger management classes are really starting to urine me off.

Thanks, Derick, for a much needed chuckle.

Tim

scottsteil
    Central MN

I tie direct to the O-Ring. I have tried using swivels, snaps etc. I get the action I am looking for out of the spoon by doing so.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

I tie direct to the O-Ring. I have tried using swivels, snaps etc. I get the action I am looking for out of the spoon by doing so.

Same here. I do not like to use extra hardware if I don’t have to.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Quote:

Quote:

Same here. I do not like to use extra hardware if I don’t have to.

I like to use the rapala knot. It also seems to help the action!!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Plus…another reason to head to the store to get “supplies”

OR another reason to get away from the baby
    Congratulations by the way

I agree with Scott, a small split ring works for me BUT you know how much I icefish.

Ron

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

You might be right there…
    and Thanks!

AkDan

try a loop knot. I really like it for jigging lakers. gives a nice action to an otherwise good spoon on the fall instead of tying directly. Essentially it does the same as going to a much lighter line. If you’re already fishing 2lb line you may not see any difference, though you just might be suprised.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.