flasher question

• corey-studer

CNY Tim – Thank you for trying to give me an answer, but why would you want to filter out what’s below you and not show you everything?

I was just curious as to how many lines or segments are on these units, that’s all. I think if you can answer that question, you’ll find out what the resolution is. I believe all three, Vexilar, Marcum and Lowrance make fine units. That’s all I have to say with out turning this into a heated debate.

cny tim
    Rome, NY

Chad – Hello again. I don’t think the average angler cares about how many segments they have. Some secrets are best kept close to the vest. Just a thought…

When you run both an FL-18 and an LX-5 or LX-3 for that matter the proof is right there. Shallow water dominance, stacked targets, crisply refined lines there is nothing close at that price with multiple user friendly features and with that quality standard. Plain and simple MarCum is reeling in new customers with a superior product by word of mouth on the ice. It’s been tried and tested and the ice fishing community is responding. It’s all about competition to achieve better products… The ultimate flasher for 160′ or less is the MarCum. If I needed something deeper over 160′ it would definitely be the Vex. I give you guys credit for sticking with this but it’s time for a reality check. 95% of guys have taken the Vex MarCum challenge and 95% are now MarCum, that has to tell you something. There’s not another American 3 color flasher that can give you all this and a padded softpack for less…

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Quote:

Oh, and welcome back I had a feeling you would be showing up again this year for the debates

Hey Scott…..funny to see you in this thread

No debate here….I just offered some info to 500 so he could compare the units…..I was not aware Marcum’s site was so primitive until I went to it.

Tim…..come on now……95% switch to Marcum…..seriously….we know you love your Marcum…..but to start throwing fictious numbers all over the web without the numbers to back it is absurd. I’m sure Marcum will have a fine year…..but I’m sure Vexilar will do fine with their new units as well.

ps….if 500 does work for Vexilar….how about a discount on the FL20???

scottsteil
    Central MN

I don’t miss many Chad ..But again, welcome back!

As for that 95%, I know that is a ficticious number. I think what Tim is saying is that MarCum has seen a big increase in sales of their units. The popularity of the LX-5 exceeded expectations last year and was very well received by most that actually used the unit on the ice.

When good companies compete we all win..better products and better prices

cny tim
    Rome, NY

Chad – If there is anyone that deserves a discount on the FL-20 it’s you

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Quote:

Chad – If there is anyone that deserves a discount on the FL-20 it’s you

Here…Here…I’ll drink to that!!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

What I like best about the FL-18 and 20 is it was designed for both shallow and deepwater applications. I can cut the power down when fishing shallow bluegills and yet jump to fishing crappies deep. Theres no filtering so I can see everything. I like to be able to see my livebait in deepwater. For instance when fishing deep crappies, the Vexilar will show your maggot/minnow on your jig. Sometimes the bait gets pulled off or falls off. Then your not fishing without bait. I also like how the Vex shows the mood of the fish with the “flicker” on the colors. To me, both of these features are more important than cripsy lines?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I can tell you if I am fishing with or without bait with the LX-5, that is why it is important to play with the Gain when first purchasing any unit. Features take time to learn with all units. As far as the mood, not sure what your Vex is showing, I do no if I have fish showing up as targets and I can’t trigger the bite, they are not in the mood for whatever bait I may be fishing with and it is a time for change or a move.

Guess I will stick with the quietness and crispy lines

Everyone has there favorites, I wish you the best of luck with your purchase King185

Bret

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

For instance when fishing deep crappies, the Vexilar will show your maggot/minnow on your jig. Sometimes the bait gets pulled off or falls off. Then your not fishing without bait. I also like how the Vex shows the mood of the fish with the “flicker” on the colors

Isn’t this ironic, the same thing we said the LX-5 did so well last year that the Vex guys said was not possible.

Derek, did you do the testing on the FL-20? It sounds like you have used it already.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

I think I’ll just get one Vexilar, one Marcum, and one Lowrance – put them on the shelf and stay with my Clearwater Classic! I can watch the fish approach my bait with my AquaView anyway

Just kidding… boy, when I started this discussion I figured I’d be helping myself as well as other people trying to muddle through the differences. Seems like all three units will get the job done and it really does come down to personal preferences.

I’m a bit surprised that nobody mentioned the differences in terms of being able to shoot through the ice to check for bottom structure, depth, fish, weeds, etc prior to drilling a hole. Does anyone know if there’s any real differences between the units for this purpose? My Clearwater Classic does this pretty darn well!

scottsteil
    Central MN

Shooting though the ice is a pretty basic feature of all flashers. If the ice is smooth, you don’t need water, if it is rough some water makes it easier. I haven’t found a flasher that doesn’t shoot through the ice.

The handheld sonars (like the LX-i) that can shoot through A LOT of ice, do this by using a lot of power. The MarCum flashers excel at shooting through the ice because of power they put out.

Hopefully, you were able to learn something from this thread. We do a lot of joking and kidding with each other but you should be able to see through all that

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

the amount of info in this string is amazing and it’s always useful to get personal opinions. The IDA site is just an awesome resource for sharing the sport of fishing.

One suggestion, though – is there anyway to enforce a ‘conflict of interest’ statement by posters? It would be nice to know if someone works for/with/sponsor by a particular company so you can read between the lines of their posts

In all seriousness, though, I’m leaning toward the MarCum unit… I wonder if I’d be able to get my hands on one as a ‘trial unit’ before laying out the cash???

scottsteil
    Central MN

I am on MarCum’s Pro Staff Most people know that I guess..in case I didn’t mention it earlier.

There is some good reading from December & January on this same subject if you want to search the archives of this forum.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am not sponsored nor do I have any ties with MarCum
    Just a satisfied customer. I started with a Vex and it did an alright job. But, then I had to see what all the hype was about the MarCum units and went and bought one. Have been very satisfied every since and will continue to stay with them.
    As far as trial runs, there are a few places that do rent them out during ice season.

cny tim
    Rome, NY

King – Depending on your budget Fishing Pro Store and Reeds have some sales going on but I would stop at Fishing Pro Store first they have a few remaining LX-3(TC)s refurbished for $299. $100 off the retail price, now that’s a steal with free shipping
    You’ll love the zoom on these units it’s incredible compared to my FL-18. It stays locked in while hole hopping so your not fiddling with buttons when jumping from hole to hole. And the sheer versatility and larger window was a welcome plus on this unit compared to the 6′ bottom only on my FL-18, which gave me nothing but frustration . But what really kicks in MarCum’s favor is detail in the strike zone, target seperation the way it should be. It’s Americas best built flasher bar none.
    I am not sponsored by anyone either, can’t be with the product reviews and testing I have done. Sponsorship is not for everyone that’s why I prefer to remain independent. Whatever you decide King good luck with your choice and if you have any questions I’ll be here.

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

I know most of you area from MN. I live in IA and fish with Chad (CSP88) and a bunch of other folks. I know Vex. is way ahead in the flasher battle in our area. I hear it every yr. from the guys on our Iowa site and from the guys I fish with. I’m a Marcum owner (LX-5 & LX-3) and am definetly a minority. We had 17 guys on our SD trip last winter and I was the only Marcum user. Were up to 28 on this winters trip and as far as I know I will still be the only Marcum user.

I just love reading the ribing that goes on between the folks about which flasher is the best. To me the flasher is just showing you whats down their you still have to put something in their face they want to bite!! I think both units do an excellent job of showing you fish but that doesn’t put them on the ice!

I still wear more old fish finder on my Carhartt as a reminder how far technology has come.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

How did I miss this discussion??

King- I had an FL-18 ultra pack- once I tried a lx-5 I sold my 18, and haven’t looked back.
    Anyways…here is what I say after reading this

Quote:

Now imagine the look on their faces when I explained to them that I have a B.S. in Biology and Chemistry, a Master’s degree in Physiology, and a PhD in Pharmacology/Physiology and that I am the Scientific Director of a local medical research company!!!

Hows about- you buy ten of each…and send me nine and I will take a picture of the look on my face and send that to you!! Sound like a deal?

All joking aside, my vote is the marcum!

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Luke, you must be confused!!! Us scientist-types don’t make a lot of money – not like ‘real’ doctors…

After reviewing all the posts here and on previous threads and doing some product research on my own, I’m going to give the MarCum a good once-over. Of course, it’s kind of like going to an over-hyped movie – my expectations are quite high. One remaining questions: where’s the knob or switch on that unit that tells the fish when to jump onto the hook?

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

King, either one of these will greatly enhance your fishing experience. Choose the flasher/manufacturer you feel most comfortable with and don’t look back.

Chad

cny tim
    Rome, NY

Chad your gonna need that discount just checked Vex Direct, holy smokes the dual beam FL-20 is a whopping $570

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Why do people think they need the dual transducer?

cny tim
    Rome, NY

Derek – You know this you can fish alot tighter to structure and steep breaks with a narrower beam that an 8 or a 9 deg. offers. Eliminates the dead zone brother..

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I have been using a 12 degree for the last 10 years or so. Never been an issue for me. If I’m trolling steep edges in open water, it may be an issue. Not ice fishing..

And to rib Chad about these discounts? Was is the LX-3 or LX-5 that you got a discount on from your buddies at FM?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

For folks that do prefer the dual beam. The FL-20 dual beam will retail for $549.95

cny tim
    Rome, NY

Chad and I go way back we have been gently on each other about flashers for what 3 years maybe more.
    Like my FL-18 and LX-3 I paid full price for both and if I didn’t sell them already I would send you the receipts, nice try…
    Well the retail price on the FL-20 is a little less than Direct which I pretty much figured as the direct prices usually are a bit more there and a lot less on reconditioned units.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

Why do people think they need the dual transducer?

I use my Dual Beam transducer all the time. While fishing steep edges is only one of the many times a dual beam transducer is nice, as it cuts down on the amount of dead area under the cone.

While fishing around a lot of other flashers, the narrow beam will cut down on interference you get from other units.

While fishing in really deep water, the narrow beam is really nice as you are not looking at such a big area in the water.

While fishing heavy weeds, the narrow beam will pick up less of the weeds and allow you to see more what is going one.

The wide beam is nice for fishing that 30ft range, as it allow you to see fish coming in from the sides really nice.

While fishing stationary, you can watch each of your baits, in 20ft of water with the wide beam or watch only one with the narrow beam.

While fishing on Rocks I really prefer the narrow beam.

While fishing really shallow, without weeds the wide beam is nice.

While fishing the mud for perch, I use the wide beam it helps pick up those roaming fish.

While setting tip-ups, the wide beam is a must, that live bait never wants to stay under the cone.

Just couple examples of when a dual beam is nice

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

How close are you fishing to other people? Isnt that what IR is for?

How deep do you fish in the winter? A 12 degree has a general cone of 6 feet while a 9 degree is 4.5

Fishing in weeds.. This is why the FL- 18 and 20 have LP (low power) modes.

Seeing fish coming from the sides? Again, the 12 degree has a cone of about 6 feet in 30 feet of water. Plenty of coverage.

Watching two baits? Do people still use two lines??

Fishing the rocks, dead zone.. Dead zone is a factor when moving. When stationary, unless your bait is laying on bottom or your fishing on top of a boulder, a 9 degree is not going to have much advantage over a 12 degree.

Fishing shallow? Again, the FL-18 and 20 excel at fishing shallow regardless of what transducer you are using.

Fishing the mud? A wider beam narrow beam is best since the bottom is so soft. Again the 12 degree works fine.

Setting tip ups? use more lead to keep that minnow in the strike zone.

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

The dual beam is great fishing Brushy Creek in the trees!! Last winter Chad and I were down their fishing. I was fishing 10 yds away from Chad and my LX-3’s screen was lite up with trees but I wasn’t getting snagged up. I left and Chad fished my holes and told me later that most of the trees were off to the side not much straight down. We were fishing 30-35 fow so the narrow cone on his 18 was a big plus. I had a hard time picking up my jig in all the clutter. I think the dual beam has it’s advantages.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

So are you telling me, your not going to send me nine? I guess I can get over that….

Bring on the ice!!

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Quote:

The dual beam is great fishing Brushy Creek in the trees!! Last winter Chad and I were down their fishing. I was fishing 10 yds away from Chad and my LX-3’s screen was lite up with trees but I wasn’t getting snagged up. I left and Chad fished my holes and told me later that most of the trees were off to the side not much straight down. We were fishing 30-35 fow so the narrow cone on his 18 was a big plus. I had a hard time picking up my jig in all the clutter. I think the dual beam has it’s advantages.

Todd, hate to bust your bubble….but…..I don’t have the dual beam on my FL-18. I have the standard 12* transducer. The difference between the 20* vs. 12* made the difference in you picking up the clutter. I agree though, in certain situations the dual beam would come in handy…..and Brushy is one of them.

Chad

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.