5 Months And A Week Or 2

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Ice fishing is sneaking up on us (that would be for the dudes not marking off the days on the calendar)
    Just a reminder, charge you flasher batteries to extend battery life. I put the LX-5 battery on the charger last night to throw some excitement into it. It started off at 40%. This will keep you battery from developing dead spots and extend the hours of use
    What to do next to keep my mind off this rotten warm weather? Oh yea, might as well tare the Beaver Dams apart and re-lube them Anyone else keep there tip ups in the freezer after they refurbish them? This is suppose to help you from loosing lube while they sit in the shop waiting to do what the do best…. FLAG
    Hang in there ice dudes. We can help each other get through this nasty weather

Bret

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Are there special therapy groups for people like us, Bret? I was going through my jiggle sticks the other day.

emover
    Malcom, IA

Thanks Bret,
    Just ordered a new custom ice rod last week.
    Saw the flasher by the cat’s food and was trying to remember how many months it’d been.
    Keep marking that calendar

dave

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Are there special therapy groups for people like us, Bret? I was going through my jiggle sticks the other day.

We don’t need any stinkin’ therapy! We need ice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good idea emover, note to self……need new rods

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Good post guys.

I love duckin, but my second favorite past time is ice fishing. I think I am going to go out to the garage and start up the Strike Lite. I don’t want her to get dusty on me.

I have to be honest. I don’t even own a long rod. I got asked to go fishing a week or so ago and I couldn’t because I would’ve had to bring the Frabill.

Mallard

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

lol- I LOVE ice fishing, but I definitely have to fish open water as well. But if there is ice, I rarely fish the river-

MM- did you drain your oil on the strike-lite before storing it?

col._klink
    St Paul

This is great!! I was just running the Jiffy just to check it out!!

Man that could be the best sound in the world. It will not be long!

150 to 180 days?? 3840 hours??? 230400 Minutes????

It will be back soon!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

From the great high 30’s to low 40’s at night and a high just hitting 70 …..holy Batman, back to highs in the 90’s Man I’m going to melt.
    I’m planning a week later for ice now

Bret

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Luke,

I didn’t drain the oil out of the strike lite. I ran the gas out of it the other day of my previous post, but did nothing with the oil. Should I do this? I don’t want to foil this thing up. The Strike Lite is sweet.

I was planning an oil change just before the season.

MM

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I should know..but I don’t…I’ll send Scott an e-mail and ask-

I didn’t drain mine either…I ran the gas out as well…

The strike lite is a sweet auger- I bought that one and a lazermag last year!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Guys:

I used to drain my gas also, but a mechanic friend of mine told me to fill her up, put a gas stabilizer in the tank and that will keep anything from drying and cracking, which means no fun when ice season starts again.

Don’t know about the oil thing though.

Come on ice!!!

Mark

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

That’s a good point Mark. I might just run a bit of newer gas in it and run it every once in a while. It isn’t a crime to have a couple beers in the garage, and then fire up the auger in the driveway in the middle of the night as long as the gaurd stays on is it?

We could be like my brother and drill about 150 holes in his yard to plant seedlings during the warm months. On the bright side he got 150 trees planted, on the bad side, he had about 30 more to go before he shelled the gearbox.

MM

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Ok, so the ruling is in- you don’t need to drain the oil as it will help prevent corrosion to the internal engine parts. Adding stabilizer to the gas is also recommended!

Thanks Scott!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Bret, I’m in no hurry for snow on my boats yet so enjoy the open water warmer weather and go fishin and knock that ice stuff off. You too guys. PLEASE!!!
    Thanks, Bill

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Bill, Bill, Bill,
    ICE IS OUR FRIEND

June is coming to a closing fast, how cool is that?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am getting ready to walk across the frozen waters to chase after them monster perch, sunnies, and whatever else comes along. I really hope we have another GTG at Mille Lac this winter

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Hadnt seen any activity here, gotta keep the discussion alive. 5 months!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

With the weather in the LaCosse area the last few days, I can’t wait for some freezing relief
    I hate hot, for some reason my feet always feel like they are on fire

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Bret, turn up the air conditioner and fill a tub half full of ice water. Pull on the Polars and sit there for a while. Jiggle stick and clothing optional. Just don’t let anyone near you with a camera.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Alright, I have had enough of this heat With no relief in sight, the Trap Pro is looking better and better everyday. In fact I was having a daydream the other day of walking across the frozen lake with the Pro in tow. It was a great dream and I was pounding the crappies, one right after the other Of course I had to get back to reality and that was a real let down. I can’t hardly wait for the first chill of fall because I will then know winter will soon be here

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I hear you with this unending heat. Yesterday, the power company installed one of those energy saver boxes on my air conditioning and it didn’t run all afternoon and night. I slept about 5 minutes last night because our house got up to 88 degrees. Energy saver my . I made the call this morning to get it off. I’m too fat to deal with heat.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I ended up with a cold after using Putz advice. It sure was fun though. Feet felt great there for awhile. Action was slow, tried every jig I own but couldn’t buy a bite Tried it nude also, that just made things look smaller

I agree Wats, the heat has been a killer. I have been getting off the water by 9 – 9:30 and heading home for refreshments Won’t be long, we just have to hang in there and show our support for each other

COME ON WINTER Summer bites the big one!!!!!!

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Bret,

Did you leave any condensation patterns on the folding chair?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Yep….maybe even a freckle

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

I can’t wait for the hard water tired of this heat. We’ve been making plans on another site for our trip this winter.

Two winters ago we had 13 guys that went to Devils Lake.

Last winter we had a group of 17 that went to the Waubay area.

This yr. were heading back to SD and already have 24 guys going with more possible.

I think everyone is thinking ice!

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Went out fishing out of my duck boat this weekend. Otter Stealth 1200. Utilized my Lowrance X-67C and jigged for sunnies with my Frabil. The combination works very well in no wind. Casting in nearly impossible with a 24″ rod though. Caught some gills. They are very fun with the small rods on soft water.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

The water temp is a balmy 80 degrees…life is good!!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Yeah, well we had better get a good freeze this winter. We didn’t get to jig at the dam through the ice this past year

scottsteil
    Central MN

The last two mornings I could see my breath in the morning, that is a good thing

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I am seriously looking forward to a great winter of ice fishing the back waters down here… it’s been a couple 3 years now since they did the dredging and there is a lot of weed growth…this will hold a good amount of gills and craps…I’ll bet there are some real nice toothy critters terrorizing the weed lines also !!!

thanks for the reminder Wats !!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.