Auger Tune-Up

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Where might a guy get his Auger Tuned up for a price that wouldn’t make him feel like he should have bought a new one instead. I have an auger that seems to be pretty old (was my uncle’s before my dad’s before me). I don’t know the brand name… it is not Jiffy or Strikemaster or any of those name brands… almost looks like post hole auger or something (I recall the label on the side mentioned something about a company that digs holes). Anyway, how complicated could it be… aren’t most auger engines similar? Anyone know where I could take this? At the beginning of the week… I could pull it over but no gas was getting to the engine. Starter fluid and carb cleaner would get it to pop… but would die right away. So, taking advice from my dad… I loaded it up with carb cleaner and let it sit over night. Now, I can’t even pull the starter cord. like it is locked up. If I pull it hard but consistently… it starts to give and comes out… but can’t get that good “jerk” to get it running. Any advice would be appreciated.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Small engine repair shop!!!!! four or (4)seasons in Ham Lake????

jresoxhunter

Sorry to be the one that breaks this to you but…….Assuming that this is a two cycle, there was probably a thin film of oil (from the last time it was run)between the rings & the cylinder and when you ran it on the starting fluid/carb cleaner, you washed this thin film off the rings (as this is what those cleaners do) and now it is siezed up. If you let it sit too long, the rings (w/o their film of oil) will rust/sieze to the cylinder walls. First of all don’t try to pull it over any more as you will just pull the rope out of the re-coil mechanism or pull the handle off the rope. The best thing you can do first is pull the spark plug out & soak the cylinder with WD-40 or some other light oil based lubricant. Once you get it loosened up, then you might have something that you can take somewhere to have looked at…Wouldn’t even bother till you can atleast pull it over…..Good luck……
    Ps. You can look for some in-expensive used ones in the classifieds here.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I hope you didnt damage it with the starting fluid. Its really easy to damage the rings.

Your carb is probably full of junk, you know you have spark. A good carb rebuild.. providing you didnt blow the piston ring off should get the gas flowing.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I didn’t use enough starter fluid to damage it… used very little. Last night, took the carb off… it came off to quick and now I have to figure out how to get it back on (where it connects to the throttle . Anyway, cleaned out the carb. Took the cleaner and sprayed it right into the piston chamber… did that thoroughly and then tipped it over to let the junk leak out. Now it pulls just fine. With the carb clean and the chamber good… just have to figure out how to put it back together. I normally don’t partake in these adventures… not being very versed in small engines… I did try to do it slow so I would know how to put it back together… but it slipped so fast. well… what do you do.

col._klink
    St Paul

If it is orange pm me and I will come over and look at it!

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Orange? Not sure what you mean. The problem I am having is where the carb connects (via springs) to the throttle. The model is, IIRC, OPC or something like that… OPC is the manufacturer from Minneapolis. I don’t think they are around anymore. It is more of an earth auger I think… but it worked great for drilling holes in the ice. Key word being “worked”.

FishHead
    ST Paul

It needs a carb kit probalbly, you’ll need a serial no of the engine for that.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Well, already got it fixed. Taking the carb apart… cleaning that out. Cleaning out the chamber. Once I finally got it back together… a couple adjustments and she is running top notch again.

By the way… the manufacturer was OPE. I can’t remember what it stands for… but they apparently are not around anymore.

col._klink
    St Paul

I have a bunch of old Esikmo’s that I fix up and get rid of. They run forever with a little elbow grease!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.