The most used hardwater tool?!?

• tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

Here’s a thought to ponder…What do you think the most signficant tool for ice fishing success in the 21st century is ? the underwater camera? three color flasher sonar? Handheld GPS? Fastest power ice drill?? IDA forums?
    My vote goes to the cell phone! It’s a safety tool and instant way to tell your buddies exactly where and how the bite is going!
    Cell phones with picture technology provide real time chop busting capabilities No more “ya shoulda bin here last week!”
    More like “got my limit…lookee here. You’re at work? Too bad!!”
    The days when a hot bite evolves from a couple guys on the ice to a dozen to a hundred over a period of a week or so are gone.
    It is now possible to share the Wisconsin state cheer “I got mine!!!” immediately.
    This enables your pals the opportunity to experience similar good fortune…and that’s why I think the cell phone is #1 innovation. Thoughts?

j_ericks
    Winona, MN

Sam Adams

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ted, in my own experiance…I would have to say IDA’s Private Messaging has put more fish on the end of my line in hard or cold water…with the public forums giving more general info and tips.

Once a person registers on IDA and starts making a few freinds, the Private Messages start coming in from all over. I’ve only been out 5 times this winter, but all have started with a PM.

However last summer there were a few regular guys that went fishing more nights than not…It was great to recieve a text message on how these guy were doing…whether I was in my boat or haveing a late dinner with family!

Maybe I just don’t have the right friends Ted!

col._klink
    St Paul

I would have to agree with you Ted. I got a picture phone thingy for Christmas. I took some pics. of my Metro lake 13″ crappies. No one ever believed me but they do now. Esp. when you take a pic. with you fish next to a fatmax tape measure. All my buddies thought I was lying.

Picture phone #1 tool ever invented for bragging rights

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Some more Private Message info…

If you’re not registered and participating, you’re really missing out on some of the most powerful resources this site has to offer.

A quick check on the number of Private Messages (PM’s) in the system right now reveals: Total PMs in the system 18614

That’s 18,614 PM’s sitting in peoples mail boxes that have been read but not deleted, yet.

There’s literally another world behind the scenes here for the registered.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Well put James
    I have made a good number of friends on the site, picked up some fishing bud’s, and more heads are better than one
    With that said, I would have to say this site has helped me most!

Good luck fishing people

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

The ice scoop
    Sorry, I just had to do that
    This site has by far been the best tool I have. I have learned so many different ideas and tactics to improve my hardwater fishing ten-fold. Also, like Bret had mentioned, meeting new fishing buds and sharing each others waters. Also like Brian has mentioned, PM’s That is a very useful tool that we use to share bites and communicate, behind the scenes with each other.

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

Iwould have to say in the last 20 yrs for me it would have to be the portable fish house and the great people on IDA

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Registering so you can pm old and new buds with how you did, where you did, and what you used etc provides tons of free fishing info that the average guy only wants to share with friends instead of having everyone over there on the spot on the spot.

For those who aren’t registered there is a column over on the left side of the screen that shows whose on line if you are registered and signed on. Now you can use your real name or a made up fishing/hunting name if you like. With that being said here is what I’m trying to say: lets say I’m on line and I am thinking about going fishing this Saturday coming up and I see a friend is on line. I can send him a pm asking him if he wants to go fishing or ask how he did when he was out on the water. That gets me a fishing partner and/or a instant fishing report on the water my friend fished at. Now I know which lake to fish. And theres are alot more ”right now” conversations I can have with friends while checking out the info on the site. A mail icon flashes at the top of the screen when you have mail [pm] from someone. Mike from HOF and I use the pms to plan fishing days together all the time. Works great. And for you guys that have dial up connections for internet your fishing buds can get ahold of you even when your phone line rings busy because you are on the site as they can come on the site and send you a pm.

Now for those who think there is a catch, there isn’t any except you being able to plan your next fish catchin day with a friend. Staff people do not bother you and don’t try to sell you anything so you don’t have to worry about that either. Its just another way for you to get the most from the site and its FREE. Can’t find a better deal than that.
    Thanks, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

For my most used hardwater tool ”ON” the ice I would have to say my 3-color flaher and my jigging rod. The 3-color flasher shows me the bottom, the fish, AND where my jig is so I can raise or lower my jig to where the fish is at so I can catch him. Without that ability I am would be fishing above or below the fish and not catch anything. Without a good rod I may not be able to feel the fish fast enough to catch him. Both are very important for ”on the ice” tools.
    Thanks, Bill

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

List goes like this- top three
    3.) Spud Bar
    2.) Flasher
    1.) Indepthangling.com

I can’t say enough about how important it is to always carry a spud on the ice…its an old tool, but a great one.

I am new to the flasher, but it is amazing what you can do with this tool and see where the fish are and where your jig is. Without it you would never know a thing!

WOW i cannot say enough about the people on this site, and the site itself for that matter. I Have been on for less than a year, but i spend more time on here sponging up tips and tricks than i ever spend fishing…Look on the who’s online screen…im on here every night. You guys are all great people and i cannot believe how good i have become compared to what i was last year. Sure, a lot of it is experience, trial and error, out on the ice, or in the boat, but there are many many things i would have passed up, in my hastyness to just get out and fish. I have learned so much from this site, met some great people, and got some awesome gear all for signing up and joining in on the fun. So thanks to all the moderaters, staffers, and sponsers that make this site so amazing. You hit it right on the head bill….this site is %100 free…take it from a 14 year old kid…if it wouldnt be here, although it would be well worth whatever money you would have to pay. So sign up all you lurkers, and have a blast.
    Thank You Indepthangling
    ~Cade

emover
    Malcom, IA

I have to think that what most everyone is saying is COMMUNICATION is the key. I doesn’t matter whether it’s business, life, or hopefully fishing. For me, IDA is the easiest, best form of communication, about almost everything. If you haven’t registered, you’re missing out. It took me almost 2 years to figure that out, lurking just isn’t enough.

dave

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Other than the obvious answer of IDA, I would have to say the auger. I’ve caught a lot more fish through the ice since I started puting holes in it.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Other than the obvious answer of IDA, I would have to say the auger. I’ve caught a lot more fish through the ice since I started puting holes in it.

After a comment like that you will be getting a few more PM’s.

Ron

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

AmWatson and Putz can stare into a clean hole together
    See, the IDA brings a team together again

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I’ve caught a lot more fish through the ice since I started puting holes in it

I’ve fished with Putz…he’s not kidding!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

I’ve caught a lot more fish through the ice since I started puting holes in it

I’ve fished with Putz…he’s not kidding!

Yes thats true, but you can’t be standing in both holes at once if you want to catch fish. You can stand in only one of them.

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

I know this will make me sound like a poseur…but I haven’t tapped a SINGLE hole all season, just been hole hopping with all the warm weather. Been out ice fishing six times. although there is much said for being a trailblazer and pioneer, there are just as many fat scavengers as fat lone wolves in the great outdoors!

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

I never go without my headlamp!! The battaries were dead in it last night and I had to carry my lantern in one hand while pulling my sled with the other. New battries in it now and she’s ready to go.

Its also great for charging glow jigs!

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

Have ya seen those “Cats eye” lights that hook to a ball cap brim? Fantastic tool!

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

“The Spring Bobber” has got to be the tool of the century. Of course if you’re not old enough you thought they always existed.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

i have a cats eye. They are cool!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.