this may save a buddy’ s life!

• tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

Virtually every five/six gallon bucket we carry has a couple of circular ridges around the bucket near where the handle attaches. This is perfect storage for 50′ of 1/4 inch nylon rope which can save a buddy’s life!
    I drill a 5/16 hole thru the bucket between the ridges, thread one end of the rope thru, slide a washer on the rope and secure with an overhand knot. The line is then wrapped around the bucket and duct taped–ready for action if needed.
    Over the past 10 years I’ve used this TWICE to fish folks out. Rescue must be IMMEDIATE if over the victim’s head. Instruct the victim to invert bucket to trap air.
    If the victim can touch bottom, you can negotiate before dumping all of your gear or fish out of the bucket and throw it to him. What is rescue worth ? A couple of jigging Rapalas ? An FL-18 ? The rescuer is in a strong position to negotiate because the victim already feels like an idiot (I know…already have had my own bucket thrown to me once)
    If the ice is too slick to allow traction to extricate the victim , poke your auger thru at a 45 degree angle and secure rope with a bowline knot.
    One key to rescue–and self rescue– is minimizing the angle your body has to the surface of “safe” ice try to get as flat as possible, spreading out body weight.
    If you can effect self-rescue and other anglers are nearby, bark like a seal as you slide up on the ice, explaining you always wondered what it was like to be a seal once you’re safe. This will convince onlookers that you’re simply nuts and not an idiot (Did this once, too…sparking a debate on whether I was nuts or just an idiot)
    Remember: two inches of clear ice is considered adequate to support a large Korbel perfect brandy manhattan.

Lt. Ted Peck BFD (retired)
    *certified in ice, swift water rescue and ice diving
    * BS in BS, Whatsamatta U.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Great advice Ted! And timely to considering all the wackos out there thinking they can walk on water.

People will always continue taking risks and having a bucket like the one above will help keep the taxes down…and it might just save me…too!

Good Post!

Bob Bowman
    MN

This is a great idea Thanks for sharing. I rigged up an old throwable seat PFD with 50ft of rope, but the 5-gallon bucket is a much better idea.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

It is quite interesting to think about how many times I could have used 50 feet of rope and didn’t have it. I think this is the best idea i have read on here in a while since that fellow showed us his boat musky lure storage Idea.

krisko
    Durand, WI

My seat cusion to my 5 gallon pail is a PFD. I also have a rope on it and it is tied around the pail as Ted described. I got it out of OutDoor Life a couple years.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

i did this on saturday with a good 30-40 foot of rope and it did work nicely. I didnt even tie it off. I just wrapped the rope around the two loose ends for easy removal. “str8shooter” mentioned this to me so i gave it a shot and it worked well. Luckily, i never had to bust that out!

VikeFan

Yes, this is a good idea. I read it in a magazine a couple years ago, and set it up at once, although I haven’t had to use it yet.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Ted.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.