metro area ice

• dallgood
    Savage,MN

I have the day off Friday and would like to get out and do some fishing. Any ice reports in the south metro would be greatly appreciated! Do you think the ice will be solid on smaller lakes this far south? These temps are supposed to stay low, makes for good ice. Thoughts?

fishingscout
    Saint Paul

Although Lake Elmo is a late freezing lake, it is still 50% open water. Steaming like crazy… makes for some very cool looking trees.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Elmo goes to 120 feet deep! Takes a long time fo rthe lake to turn over.
    Rebbeca and Isabel as well as North Lake in the Hastings area are open for business.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to check out Marion, Crystal, Orchard, or even Prior.

I haven’t been by them to check the ice, but 3rd hand info is saying that it is getting good.

Marion, right out front of the public access would be a great spot to hit for pike and sunnies. Head out in a little deeper water and you should find some decent crappies……Straight out from the public access.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

As of 2 days ago, Lake Calhoun was still 1/3 open towards the north end of the lake. I didnt look at Harriet but probably the same. Isles was frozen throughout the warm rain before the cold snap, so whatever was out there is going to be some nasty ice.. havent checked to see whats below it yet. Lake Nokomis should have been ready by now, but Minnehaha creek got high and overflowed the dam into the lake raising the water about 12″ and really making the ice inconsistant to say the least. 3 days ago there was about 2 1/2 inches on nokomis, with the top 1/3 being worthless.

This is the info I have on the inner city lakes… I am holding off for a couple days and going to be EXTREMELY careful wherever I go. I havent seen consistant ice anywhere this year with the crazy weather and snow. I think we are going to have a lot of snowmobiles and vehicles dropping through this year.

dallgood
    Savage,MN

I’m right down the road from Prior and fish Crystal and Orchard frequently in the summer. I’ll probably drive down to the beach at Prior and take a look. Spring might be worth a drive by too. It might be a little early yet for me to test the ice as I am still a rookie on the ice. Thanks for the posts.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Thanks Dazzle! Keep us posted!

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Hi guys! Just got back from Gander in Lakeville, guy says there’s about 5″ on Prior.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I’m sure most of you know this. Be extremely carful on prior. There is a ton of current running throug there. Be especially careful around the islands and the bluffs on the south side across from the landing. My fauther is on the bluffs and says they had questionable ice at best around shore.

col._klink
    St Paul

We have ice in the north metro!!

Centerville and Peltier by me are fishable!! You can walkout about 400 yards from shore and be on at least 3″ of ice! Good luck!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.