Walleye and or perch line?

• DrakeRoth22
    NULL

Just saw the post on lake pound test and got to thinking.. What do u guys use for your walleye 15-20 inches normally and perch? I will be using this with a Tucr precision and a reel with a good drag.. I’ve been using 4 pound and it has been working alright had a few break offs on big fish this year wondering what you guys use on this setup?

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Not sure if you are talking braid, mono or flouro.

I use 4 lbs. Vanish 100% of the time. I fish mostly clear water lakes which is whay I go with flourocarbon. I’d go up to a 6lbs. if fishing stained water more often.

Red ranger
    New Richmond, WI

8# braid with a fluoro leader on my walleye rods.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I use 6# copolymer (PLINE FLOUROCLEAR)

Caught 840+ fish in 2014 with it and counting.

Paul Delaney

With this set up you are using you can get away with using the 4lb line as long as you have a softer tip rod and a soft drag. Ideally if you can use a 6lb line this will give you a bit more line strength when fishing for walleyes and in most cases you will not forfeit bites with this line.For your perch fishing I would recommend still using the 4lb line If you re fishing extremely clear water I would recommend using a flourocarbon line to cut back on visibility.

Paul Delaney
    http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Quote:

With this set up you are using you can get away with using the 4lb line as long as you have a softer tip rod and a soft drag. Ideally if you can use a 6lb line this will give you a bit more line strength when fishing for walleyes and in most cases you will not forfeit bites with this line.For your perch fishing I would recommend still using the 4lb line If you re fishing extremely clear water I would recommend using a flourocarbon line to cut back on visibility.

Paul Delaney
    http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

X2

I couldn’t agree more.

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Quote:

Just saw the post on lake pound test and got to thinking.. What do u guys use for your walleye 15-20 inches normally and perch? I will be using this with a Tucr precision and a reel with a good drag.. I’ve been using 4 pound and it has been working alright had a few break offs on big fish this year wondering what you guys use on this setup?

Drake I run a precision out in Sodak here where we hit alot of pike while fishing the perch and eyes. I run 4lb suffix braid to a 8lb floro leader. I have not gotten broken off all season long. I will check my floro leader from time to time and will usually swap out at night just because floro isnt expensive and im usually only tying on a 24 inch leader. Hope this helps, – QB

nblasius
    SE South Dakota

I use 6lb. fireline crystal for walleyes and perch and I have had little or no trouble. It’s a great line to use cause you can fish bigger baits but still downsize if you have too. Sometimes I bring the wrong rods for the area I’m fishing and the smaller diameter line works great if I have to tie on something small for perch. I had a pike problem last weekend and that line never gave me any trouble. A good reel goes a long ways if it has a good drag! Good luck

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.