line size for big eyes

• CJ

I am curious what pound test line you guys are using when targeting walleye. Especially for those who know you may hook into an 8+ pound fish along the way. Thanks for the help.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

6# or sometimes 4#.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Ice fishing, 6lb most of the time. I might have one rod set up with 8lb. Here on mille lacs I have caught many walleye through the ice from 20 to 27 inches. You will get bit off every now and then, but that is just fishing, can’t catch them all.

CJ

What are your technique’s for icing big fish that don’t want to get their heads started up the hole? We lost a SLOB this weekend because we couldn’t get it started up the hole. Easily a 30″ fish, 8″ hole and 18″ of ice.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

What are your technique’s for icing big fish that don’t want to get their heads started up the hole? We lost a SLOB this weekend because we couldn’t get it started up the hole. Easily a 30″ fish, 8″ hole and 18″ of ice.

You need to get your arm wet with that little of ice.

CJ

Quote:

You need to get your arm wet with that little of ice.

I had my coat off and my sleeves rolled up. Every time I stuck my arm in it went on a huge run and eventually the line snapped. I’m pretty sure I have heard of people using a broom stick or something similar to push their body down and get them started up the hole. Anyone have any experience or insight to go along with this?

tswoboda

Quote:

Patience. Eventually that head is going to come up the hole, just take your time, there is no rush with a big fish like that.

Paul Delaney

When targeting walleyes here on the Bay of Green Bay where we see many fish in the 6 to 10lb range I still use 6lb test sufix monofilament tied to a barrel swivel with 6lb test sufix flourocarbon leader. We have extremely clear water here so for visibility reasons we want to keep things as light as possible with out sacrificing strength.With a quality rod and a good drag system you will be able to handle large fish on this line.

Paul Delaney
    http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Depends largely on water fished, like Paul stated on the Bay where its clear or on some of my clearer lakes I will run 6-8lb floro. Up on Winnipeg or when I am fishing some of my more stained water bites I will run 10lb braid direct. I know a guy who runs 40lb braid direct up on peg and catches just as many fish as everyone else. – QB

jneuf
    NULL

I guess I’m out of the norm here, but I have either 10 or 15 lb. power pro on all my rods. I primarily walleye fish, but the bodies of water I fish also have some huge pike roaming in them as well, so it’s nice to have a little security just in case.

Lake Winnipeg and the Red River up north of Selkirk, MB also holds some HUGE walleyes. I won’t risk running a light line to lose a 30″+ fish.

Pickerel Tamer
    NULL

I use 12lb Nanofil up on Lake Winnipeg, works great and has the same diameter as 5lb mono. I even use it as a leader below my swivel. I do not care to use flurocarbon leaders up there, especially ripping big lipless cranks. I have been burned on a couple of hard hooksets.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I use 8. Get too scared to try anything less.

CJ

Quote:

I guess I’m out of the norm here, but I have either 10 or 15 lb. power pro on all my rods. I primarily walleye fish, but the bodies of water I fish also have some huge pike roaming in them as well, so it’s nice to have a little security just in case.

Lake Winnipeg and the Red River up north of Selkirk, MB also holds some HUGE walleyes. I won’t risk running a light line to lose a 30″+ fish.

Doesn’t braid freeze up easily when fishing outside in colder temps?

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely, the best stuff I’ve found to prevent freeze is the fuzed line, but even it freezes up, especially in temps colder than 20 degrees F.

I’ll echo comments from Paul and Quintin, in that I’ll use the heaviest line that I can within reason given conditions if I know big fish are a probability. Braid is great, not just for sensitivity and strength, but big eyes need a good hookset in them so the minimal stretch part is attractive.

As long as the line doesn’t interfere with the fish’s preference (line-shy) or affect the action of the lure, I think we’re all looking for as much insurance as we can when big eyes are the target species. Of course, there’s a point of diminishing returns, but I’d have no problem fishing 10lb+ braid if the fish allowed it.

Joel

jneuf
    NULL

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely, the best stuff I’ve found to prevent freeze is the fuzed line, but even it freezes up, especially in temps colder than 20 degrees F.

I’ll echo comments from Paul and Quintin, in that I’ll use the heaviest line that I can within reason given conditions if I know big fish are a probability. Braid is great, not just for sensitivity and strength, but big eyes need a good hookset in them so the minimal stretch part is attractive.

As long as the line doesn’t interfere with the fish’s preference (line-shy) or affect the action of the lure, I think we’re all looking for as much insurance as we can when big eyes are the target species. Of course, there’s a point of diminishing returns, but I’d have no problem fishing 10lb+ braid if the fish allowed it.

Joel

Agree with you 100% Joel.

As for line freezing, I’ve tried a number of different types of line, and they all freeze up here in Manitoba when it’s cold, so now I just stick with braid.

Are you guys at IDO planning a show up on Lake Winnipeg this year? I’ve always enjoyed the shows you’ve done here in the past.

Pickerel Tamer
    NULL

Maybe another slapped together photoshopped background will show up behind a 13lb greenback again and it’ll be used as a puff piece for a different lake until someone points out where it was caught. Not ironic that this pic has been pulled long ago. Looks like some sunburn and raccoon eyes from a 60 degree day on the ice 2 years ago to me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.