Catch Cover Rattlesnake Rattle Reel

• Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Does anyone have an overall review on this product?

Bigwalleye30
    MN

I’m hoping someone that’s used them steps up and has a review. I was thinking of getting these too and would be interested in a review.

ERIKJ
    Chaska, MN

Very happy with them. Easy to put in in position you want and simple drag/tension adjustment. Have used in wheelhouse for several years and would not go back to traditional or Lindells.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I wanted to put out my review of the Catch Cover Rattle Reel.

Well let’s start off with the Pros.

Pros:
    *Easy to take on and off the wall.
    *Easy to move in place.

Cons:
    *It’s easy to accidentally wind the line between the wheel and the holder. This is very difficult to fix! I had to take a reel apart a couple times to get the line out.
    *The “snake” portion of rattle reel is too weak and the rattle reel wouldn’t stay in place after a year.
    *I like to leave a bobber on the reel so the depth is set the next time out. There’s no room to wind a bobber on the reel with this design.
    *Most importantly… *The spool does not roll smooth or consistent. Walleye/crappie can easily feel the tension no matter what I did to loosen the reel.

In the end I gave these away and will never look back. One of the worst products I’ve ever spent money on. This is just my opinion. I’m sure someone out there loves these things.

I currently run Lindell style rattle reels and LOVE them!! They might not look as fancy, but they’re light years ahead of the Catch Cover Rattle Reel. Function before fancy!

Attachments:
    1. Lindell.png

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Yes, there’s nothing like “The Original” Lindell rattle reel, proudly made by Barry Bailey of Baudette MN. Where else would you want your rattle reel to come from. peace

404 ERROR
    MN

Good to resurrect your old thread for a review.

I also have tossed mine in the trash. They looked like a nice product and I was excited to use them, but they just sucked overall. I had all the same problems you had with inconsistent tension, line getting stuck and the snake becoming loose. I could have probably pro-longed the snake coming loose by removing them from the wall for travel, but who wants to do that…

I went back to my old trusty wood ones from Productive alternatives. They work just fine and the tension is easy to adjust.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I don’t like the beads in the lindels, I prefer the bells, I just switched from the plastic with bells to the ultimate rattle reels, so far so good, smaller diameter spool but still enough room for backer and fly line.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

I have them and they work fine. There are pros and cons to them. We always take them off the wall when traveling to an from the lake and have them stored when the house is sitting at home. The two negatives to them are line can easily unspool and get caught between the arm and the wheel when you are setting them up or messing with the line. Its a hassle but with fly line it takes a couple of seconds (if you see it happened). But the biggest negative I’ve found is the crank handle doesn’t stay in any position be straight down, so then you have to adjust the snake portion of it, so you have the correct amount of slack you are wanting. If I had a new house and was starting from scratch I wouldn’t instantly buy them again, I’d definitely check out some of the other options out there before deciding what to get. They would be in the running as they serve the purpose they are meant for and the cons I have with them are only minor.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

They would be in the running as they serve the purpose they are meant for and the cons I have with them are only minor.

Thanks for your review too! I do have to ask. Don’t your reels turn with resistance at times? I went to Fleet Farm in St.Cloud and Alexandria, I tried everyone on the shelf. I found two out of all of those that didn’t have resistance. I’m not saying they won’t turn but they certainly were not free spinning. MAJOR flaw in my book. I guess if yours are free spinning you won the lottery and you should hang on to them!

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I like mine well enough. Yea, a few joints of the snake arm loosen up but it still gets into the right place. Mine spin fine. Lost a wingnut because it spun off with a fish. Called catch cover and they sent me a nut and two of the rubber ends they now use to prevent that problem for free.

I also like that they can mount on the safety covers.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

Mine seem to spin just fine. Only real resistance would be the weight of the knob, but that is minimal.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.