Fluorocarbon ice line

• hawkeye27

Curious why I hear of a lot of people using a fluoro leader Tied to braid? I use braid for the lb test per diameter and for feel. Do you lose a lot of feel using a leader? Do you feel you get more bites do to the near invisible feature of mono or fluoro? I use mono on some of my panfish rods does anyone spool all fluorocarbon. What are the pros and cons to this. Just looking for some info since I have not tried yet but would like to be enlightened…..

dorancehefte
    Wisconsin

Fluorocarbon is less visible and stands up to abrasion better than mono. It seems to have less stretch than most monos also. I’ve used my camera to watch my jigs dancing in front of fish. I can’t see the line but I can see the jig. There are a couple jigs that work better on a softer line but just keep one reel set up for those.

4walleye
    Central SD

I tried spooling my rods with 100% 6# fluorocarbon and took it all off. I thought the fluorocarbon had too much line memory and came off the spool in coils. I went with Suffix braid with a tiny swivel and tied about 2 or 3 foot leader of 6# fluorocarbon. I like this setup and have caught a bunch of eyes on spoons. The swivel eliminated any spinning spoons.

Red ranger
    New Richmond, WI

I have been doing the same as 4walleye with very favorable results. If the water is murky you wouldn’t need the leader but I still use this as it seems to help minimize the line twist.

gandercommander

Fluorocarbon is tougher than mono thinner less stretchable and barely any line memory what so ever I use that for all my rods from panfish to walleyes I use rapala castable flurocarbon

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I spool 100% 3-4# flouro. But I just fish for panfish.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

100% flouro for me also. It’s tougher and has less stretch than mono for burying hooks in deeper water and fishing braid outside of a shelter I have more issues with the line icing up than flouro.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t get much memory on my line either.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

I use a small barrel swivel with 4, 6 or 8 lb flouro leaders on all my lines when fishing vertically winter or summer to eliminate twist. In shallow water – say less than 15′ I like mono and deeper use braid. Reason for mono and braid is I don’t have the best feel due to arthritis so if using braid in shallow water sometimes the fish can feel my end of the line before I feel a bite so mono helps with that. I also use a spring bobber quite a bit which helps to see what I don’t feel.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

For me it is all about confidence. For most of last year in open water I tied braid directly to jigs. One day I put on a 5′ leader of Fluoro and got hammered by larger fish than average for that lake. Call it luck but it worked. For spoons I use a barrel swivel with a few feet of 3-4# fluoro. For flies I run straight 2# fluoro.

4walleye
    Central SD

Quote:

100% flouro for me also. It’s tougher and has less stretch than mono for burying hooks in deeper water and fishing braid outside of a shelter I have more issues with the line icing up than flouro.

I have to agree with Will that you will notice more line icing with braid than with fluorocarbon if you fish outside. Fluorocarbon is very abrasion resistant. I have caught a dozen walleyes who inhaled the spoon and checked the line at the end of the day and never noticed any nicks in the fluorocarbon line.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I recently just spooled one of my poles with 100 % 6# fluoro for the first time. I have always done mono so will see how it goes this weekend.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.