Tungsten jig spinning..Help

• Dan0068

I love using tungsten jig in deep water, but i have tried swivels, new line, im frustrated. No fish will hit a spinning jig…Maybe its the jig too..i use double D by JB lures..Need your help please.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

What kind of reel and line are you using? The only thing I can think of is going to a smaller line with a in-line reel. If you are already doing that I wouldnt know what else to do…

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

You can weed out the jig as the cause by trying a similar jig to see if spinning occurs. How hard you are jigging the double d may also affect how much spin results. Really vigorous or high jumping jigging can raise heck with any line/spin issues at any depth…maybe use minimal jigging to see if spinning still results.

Personally if I was working very deep water I’d be dropping a jigging spoon.

Dan0068

Im only in 33ft…I use mini spinning reels with 2lb line..I do jig quite vigorously to get crappies to chase it..

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Quote:

Im only in 33ft…I use mini spinning reels with 2lb line..I do jig quite vigorously to get crappies to chase it..

Check the alignment of the hook shank behind the head of the jig. Also be aware of how you tip the jig if you are tipping with live bait.

Either the hook shank or the bait can act as a “rudder” when jigging. By adjusting it a bit, you may be able to make it track true when jigging.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Try dropping a small lead spoon full of spikes, like the smallest demon jigging spoon. I think you will be surprised how the crappies react.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

A swivel won’t spin with a tiny jig on the end. There needs to be some weight for the swivel to work.

Small jigs and deep water i’m using an inline reel.

EVERY spinning reel twists the line as you reel up. It’s all got to un-twist when you drop down. Most jig’s spin on the lift or drop just because of the way your waxi/minnow head/or plastic sits on the hook.

ONly way to REDUCE it is with an inline reel. Eagle claw makes a nice one for deep water, It’s cheap, has a decent drag, and has a push button line release which is much better than yanking the line out to get to your depth.

blufloyd

Stretch your line if it if your using stretchy line. I gave up spinning reels for anything under 1/12 oz years ago.

Dan0068

Thanks guys your just confirming my thoughts

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Quote:

A swivel won’t spin with a tiny jig on the end. There needs to be some weight for the swivel to work.

Small jigs and deep water i’m using an inline reel.

EVERY spinning reel twists the line as you reel up. It’s all got to un-twist when you drop down. Most jig’s spin on the lift or drop just because of the way your waxi/minnow head/or plastic sits on the hook.

ONly way to REDUCE it is with an inline reel. Eagle claw makes a nice one for deep water, It’s cheap, has a decent drag, and has a push button line release which is much better than yanking the line out to get to your depth.

Exactly.

The only thing I’ll add is that the Frabill 241 inline came out this year, and I really like mine. I know guys have complained about them but I must have gotten a good one because it works flawlessly.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

It sounds to me like your longer strokes are causing your jig to spin, like others mentioned. If you need a little extra flash to bring the slabs in, try tying in a small blade 3-5″ above the jig for some extra flash that could help bring more attention to your jig with smaller twitches.

DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

I fish small tungsten jigs almost exclusively on a spinning reel. How often do you put new line on? What kind of line… mono, flouro or a hybrid? Do you use any backing? I change line often and don’t have much issues with jig spin. I know lots of anglers that never change line. They be using like 5-10 year old line with coils and kinks in it wondering why they don’t catch fish…

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Had some issues last year with the tungstens. Alot of the problem was the knot cinching down off center at times. Not a huge deal if you check your jig every time while making sure the plastic rides true. Finally switched over to a rapala knot which has worked out great. A pain to tie up with 1 and 2lb.test but worth it

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

A Double Surgeons has worked well for me. I use it on my Fiskas tungsten as its their recommended knot. It’s tricky the first couple times but gets much easier after that.

Do a Google search for “Fiskas knot” and you will get a diagram.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Most results of a spinning lure is due to knot. Its either loose or aligned wrong on the eye of the lure itself. By cinching down the knot or re-tying it will prevent a lot of lure twists. I personally like to move the knot towards the hook vs the head of the jig. That seems to help with the spins. I agree no fish will hit a spinning lure.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

My first two times using one of the in-line reels… really like it! I have the less pricey Eagle Claw version, and it is fine.

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

Surgeons knot for sure. I’ve never had a problem.

Dan0068

Sounds like this is a common problem, with many solutions. yes i change line ( sufix ) every season on every reel i own. I tie palomar knots, it has never let me down. Lesson learned about thinking i could jig them like normal jigs/spoons, so this was an operator malfunction.
    Thanks alot guys for the many great ideas..

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Quote:

I fish small tungsten jigs almost exclusively on a spinning reel. How often do you put new line on? What kind of line… mono, flouro or a hybrid? Do you use any backing? I change line often and don’t have much issues with jig spin. I know lots of anglers that never change line. They be using like 5-10 year old line with coils and kinks in it wondering why they don’t catch fish…

You can age line fast too under the right conditions. Like two weeks ago. I left a rod on the top shelf of a rental house. We all know most of them houses top bunk is a sweat zone. 100+ degree heat really coiled up my line. Quick lesson on line care.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

2/4 braid to a size 16 swivel 18″ of 4# Fluro leader and tie you jig on with a loop knot! Run it on a inline reel and you have no more jig spinning issues. The braid is no stretch and almost non-existent line twist off a inline. I have been running the braid To Fluro leader for years now. In water less than 12 feet it’s straight Fluro. I really don’t know why guys would even run mono on the ice anymore. The only circumstance I would possibly is extreme cold zero or below because braid will freeze as it sucks moisture in extreme cold. When it’s like that I’m usually in my shack anyway.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.