Slabb’s from the land of cheese

• cmquandt

Headed out, crossed the river to fish a small town lake with crappies in mind, found em holding 5-10 feet down. Diamond jigs from custom jigs and spins tipped with a minnow head was the ticket. My advise seek out more small lakes with deep pockets for panfish. Best believe, low ice pressure and ice less fished equals more fish on the table. Question for fellow IDO’ers…how do you go about finding new bodies of water and trying new fishing spots?

acafisherman19

Congrats on those nice slabs!! I love the WI DNR website, my #1 source.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

There is alot of pie in that picture

BBKK
    IA

Nice mess of crappies!

I find new bodies of water by using google maps. I look for new lakes/ponds and then ask permission if needed. Great way to find some hidden ponds not many people fish. On the river, its as simple as following the backwaters until you see something that looks like it will hold fish (sharp turn, two backwaters meeting, trees laying way out, etc. Then drill drill drill.

cmquandt

I hear about these backwaters on the river but have no clue where to find them….

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I like diamond jigs too, the last few weeks I have used them every trip on the ice. They are small enough that even the dinks do not shy away and heavy enough to get down there quick. Tonight I was fishing in 35 fow usually 10 to 20 feed down but sometimes I needed to reach the bottom…

bee
    Maine

Now that’s a good catch.

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

What depth are you looking for in those small acre ponds?

ec1
    NULL

Land of cheese – you can’t say you’ve tried hard enough fishing for crappies if you don’t swiss cheese the ice around you! Nice fish!

tucrs
    NW Metro

I look at google maps too. Sometimes seeing that deep dark blue water during the fall indicates a deep hole. I really like scouting in the fall too.

I mark spots throughout the year in the boat and come back to them during the winter months.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.