Graph/ Chart on the digital units. I get it.

• IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Not being one to avoid change I still felt compelled to watch the the old flasher display on my LX-7, until today I switched to the graph. I was into some perch today and was pretty sure the bottom was gaining hight but not positive. Then when in graph mode you could defiantly tell when something moved in on the bottom. As it was scrolling you could see the old depth of the bottom then the height change when a fish came in. This old dog learned a new trick.

Also 2 weeks ago I learned to switch my vertical zoom to a 5 foot window when targeting bottom fish. With out a camera I don’t know how much better info you can get than one of the LX-6,7 and 9s(less using the camera on the 9).

Even with the issues some have had, there is nothing out there that offers so much versatility in one unit. I will never bash a vex but vex LX-5 and on down can not hold a candle to these units. If you think your better off with the tried and true, stick with what you have but if you want to blow your socks off start working with these units.

I am just a average fisherman and am not affiliated with any company that has to anything to do with fishing, I’m just trying to share my experience.

Best of luck and God Bless. Mike

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

I feel same way as you do on the lx 7 loving the big screen

castle-rock-clown

Welcome to the “chart” people. Did you end up catching any of those bottom hugging perch?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The graph mode if observed closely can tell you a lot about a fish’s response to your jigging cadence or presentation. Good stuff

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Quote:

Welcome to the “chart” people. Did you end up catching any of those bottom hugging perch?

Yup brought a dozen thru the hole. When the front got on top of us perch went away and nibbling gills showed up.

inskom

Quote:

there is nothing out there that offers so much versatility in one unit.

My Humminbird 788ci HD does all of that, PLUS it has GPS and accepts lake map chips. Plus I didn’t have to buy a separate unit for ice fishing since I use it on my boat.

Regardless, I always use the scrolling graph mode. I can tell a lot more about what is going on down there then I can with the flasher mode.

Glad you’ve seen the light and learned a new trick with the graph mode! Always great when those new purchases really pay off isn’t it!?

castle-rock-clown

I’ve got an older 788c adapted for ice fishing as my back up. But I still loose the GPS due to the need for an external antena. I either use my handheld Garmin with lake chip, or dinky 385 that is attatched to either atv or snowmobile for getting on the spot.

ERIKJ
    Chaska, MN

I am very glad the hard water electronics are finally going this direction. I have been using my Lowrance 102C for ice graphing since 2005 because of the history of fish response to jigging action as was mentioned previously. It is also beneficial if you look away for a few seconds to see if something was missed, this may have been a flicker on a flasher that you would otherwise have missed. Saving up so I can get a dedicated hardwater Marcum instead of swapping stuff out of the boat.

Poorboy
    Illinois

Haven’t took the time to play around with the unit on the ice yet since I upgraded and dialed the unit in, but will make it a point next time out. The graph mode is full screen? I am currently using the graph mode on the left side of the screen.

Eyeowa
    Spirit Lake, Iowa

You can have the graph mode on the full screen. I use the graph mode and the vertical zoom. Love it!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.