6 color palette vs 3 color palette on Marcum v4.07

• fisherman-andy

Ive notice some users of digital Marcum sonar users are complaining that they cannot knock out interference or get interference now with the new v4.07 update. Be advise that it may not be interference that your experiencing but micro detail below being picked up.

Its pretty apparent that the gain sensitivity has once again been turned up on v4.07 vs 3.17. With v4.07 it now picks up a small jig very well on sensitivity of just 3 or 4. With v3.17 you had to be on 8-15.

With this in part, I still see that the default sensitivity is set to 15, way too high for v4.07 currently.

I spent some considerable time on different lakes over the week and have notice that with 6 color now, it really really pickups up the micro detail such as debris, ice, surface clutter, zooplankton etc. It may appear be fine on some lakes where it doesnt do this at all. Swapping over to the 3 color eliminates the micro detail on some of the lakes I saw this issue appear.

I sat next to and watch an FLX28 pick up all the unwanted micro detail or clutter, even in the same ice hole. Immediately swapping to the 3 color eliminated this again on the Marcum.

Now I watch the LX5 on same issue, unable to knock out the micro detail or clutter in the water. Again I was able to put the 3 color Marcum digital in the same ice hole and it cleared up. Swapping to 6 color picked it up again.

I am now wondering if this will help out considerably for knocking out micro detail from ceratin lakes, typically up North that experiences high zooplankton or water bugs during the Evening or early Morning.

These are just some observations or opinion I have so far with v4.07 on my end. Others may differ. I recommend one play around with the settings to see what works best for you. There may be a learning curve but once you get it you’ll understand more of why Marcum makes the changes they do to the software updates.

hamms
    Mn

Interesting thanks for the update. I have v3.17 yet and I have my sensitivity on 3 with a 4 mm jig… I am wondering if there is enough positive things to switch…

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I think you hit the nail on the head Andy! Some of the lakes I hit have bug hatches and zooplankton that basically ruled the Vexlars we used to use out of the picture. I used to turn my sonar off and fish blind when this happened. Now I cancel it all out and have a clear screen outside of my bait, roaming baitfish and the fish I am targeting! The big thing to remember is that not every lake will be the same, there is no master setting! I find myself switching modes around every time I hit a different lake and I love the fact that I have a unit that let’s me do that!

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I wish MarCum had a blog tab on there site. Also would like to see a little more about what these upgrades are doing in detail.

This new version (4.07) will update your LX-7 to the most current system performance improvements.

Manual Dynamic Range – Adjustable in one-foot increments.

Transducer offset added in one-inch increments.

Default to 6 color mode.

Why nothing on the gain change??

Personally I don’t want to have to go to a 3 color pallet to remove clutter. I have watched fish come in that are tight to the bottom and if you watch close in the 6 color pallet you can see the blue line, maybe it’s just me but I am thinking I am picking up the dorsal fin. If you have your vertical zoom window set to 5 foot you will be able to see the red mark is higher
    (I’m assuming fish moved in tight to the bottom) But in the 5 foot zoom you can clearly see the blue and yellow and almost be able to judge the size of the dorsal fin. So hence I am in no big hurry to jump on the new update. Once they get these issues cleared up the game will really be changed. I feel they where pressured into making this new upgrade available for every one too soon. JMO Mike.

bite me

I might have to do the up date because I can”t alway mark my 3m fiska bait I loose it at bottom even in 6 color i have to crank my gain up at 23 or more and still have to move it because I loose jig at 35 feet. I make sure the ice transducer ducer is under the ice so far not to happy with the lx 7 it might go back to store. and I will use my 8 year old LX 5 instead

bite me

My Lx 5 works fine down the same hole with same size jig and gain set at 2.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Quote:

I might have to do the up date because I can”t alway mark my 3m fiska bait I loose it at bottom even in 6 color i have to crank my gain up at 23 or more and still have to move it because I loose jig at 35 feet. I make sure the ice transducer ducer is under the ice so far not to happy with the lx 7 it might go back to store. and I will use my 8 year old LX 5 instead

Clown has a very good question there. If you are fishing current and loosing your jig I will place my transducer cord on the up current side of my hole and pull my transducer just a little bit into the bottom of the hole. Just enough to point my cone a little down current. If the current is real strong I sometimes drill another hole down current from the one I’m fishing out of and put the transducer in the down current hole.. Just a suggestion not judging your abilities.

hamms
    Mn

I don’t think my lx5 was ever set above 2.

bite me

I guess it could of been the current because A 4mm fiska jig with plastic worked just fine. But why was my Lx 5 not having a problem picking up the same small jig with gain set at 2 ???

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Gain levels can not be compared from the motorized units to the digitals.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.