TFO ice rods

• BBKK
    IA

Custom rods are always going to beat factory rods, dollar for dollar. Yes TFO rods are “factory” rods. The main reason custom are so better is that they are a one-stop shop. The rods are built in shop and sold in shop. That means they can use better components because they don’t need the 75% profit margin factory rods do. So a $200 custom rod is always going to be better than a $200 factory rod.. why? because the custom shop likely uses $150 in high end components on your rod where as factory rods will use $100 worth of components because they need the huge profit margin.

If you are searching for a quality rod, you won’t find it with a factory rod. You’ll probably find a good one, but not a quality one IMO.

TUCR, Thorne Bros, DH Customs, and places like that are where you want to spend your money if you want a great rod. Anyone who has held a high end custom rod knows how bad a $30-$40 factory rod is in comparison. I have fished with both st croix rods, 13 fishing rods, fenwick elite tech, gander mtns high end, and tons of el cheapos. None of them even come close to a custom rod. The 13 fishing was the best when it came to lightness and sensitivity, but it still was made with cheap components. Didn’t find that out until I sent the rod in to be customized and it was taken apart.

fisherman-andy

Let me add that I may be the only in this discussion that actually owns or have used TFO ice rods. And yes did I mention I also own multiple custom rods from TB, TUCR, & DH.

For $20-$40 the TFO ice rods are as good as it gets for a retail shelf rod. For the price of this rod I was very impressed with the build, quality and performance. Budget wise these are excellent rods to own.

BBKK
    IA

The store 5 blocks from my house carries them. I’ll go take a look tomorrow.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Some people need to go out and enjoy the company of an open minded woman…

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

Let me add that I may be the only in this discussion that actually owns or have used TFO ice rods. And yes did I mention I also open multiple custom rods from TB, TUCR, & DH.

For $20-$40 the TFO ice rods are as good as it gets for a retail shelf rod. For the price of this rod I was very impressed with the build, quality and performance. Budget wise these are excellent rods to own.

Thanks, i think this is the info he was looking for.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

The store 5 blocks from my house carries them. I’ll go take a look tomorrow.

Please do that….

I can’t wait to hear your expert opinion…

chomps
    Sioux City IA

exactly! Not some guy who bounces in beating their chest about a 3x more expensive custom rod! Jeesh

milemark_714

Quote:

Let me add that I may be the only in this discussion that actually owns or have used TFO ice rods. And yes did I mention I also own multiple custom rods from TB, TUCR, & DH.

This is true.I know one guy that has the 30″ medium model,and it was a decent stick for fishing jigging raps.Did not pay much attention to the guides,they seemed to be like PacBay Minimas.

Solid carbon blanks start with the same materials,or are there different types?I believe it is the way they are ground to taper to obtain different actions.Maybe I’m wrong?

BBKK
    IA

TFO rods are not carbon.

Graphite blank
    aluminum guides
    oversize stainless tip with extra hi-viz wrapping

Not exactly what I would choose for a sensitive rod…

fisherman-andy

Quote:

TFO rods are not carbon.

Graphite blank
    aluminum guides

Uhm… Graphite is carbon.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

exactly! Not some guy who bounces in beating their chest about a 3x more expensive custom rod! Jeesh

I’m not chest beating, I’m simply stating that these rods will not be anything special over the other factory rods. Someone else mentioned they are just as good as TUCR with cheap guides… I was debating that.

I’ll have to wait until I hold the TFO but I am pretty confident in saying it will not be as good of a rod as the 13 fishing wicked and higher. Even though the wicked uses a cheap method of attaching the reel seat, it is still the lightest and most sensitive rod I have ever held.. for a factory rod. Much, much, better than the premier I have in front of me. With the components listed on their site, the TFO couldn’t come close to the wicked…

An ice rod is only as good as its components, components wise it would be right in line with the fenwick elite tech, minus the reel seat. Both use graphite blanks and SS guides (reeds says aluminum for the TFO however).

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

TFO rods are not carbon.

Graphite blank
    aluminum guides

Uhm… Graphite is carbon.

But the blanks are made differently. Solid carbon blanks are not the same as graphite fiber blanks.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

my daughter has days like yours also, glad it only comes around once a month.

BBKK
    IA

Where was your happy birthday thread the other day? Oops, low blow… sorry

fisherman-andy

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

TFO rods are not carbon.

Graphite blank
    aluminum guides

Uhm… Graphite is carbon.

But the blanks are made differently. Solid carbon blanks are not the same as graphite fiber blanks.

Taken from TFO:

Quote:

When you’ve hooked the fish of a lifetime through a hole in the ice, you’d better have the most high-performance, dependable rod in your hand. The TFO “Hard Water” rods were designed to give you the greatest advantage in the most challenging conditions. Solid graphite blanks and ultra-light wire guides make the Hard Water family of ice rods super strong and incredibly sensitive.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Where was your happy birthday thread the other day? Oops, low blow… sorry

This statement speaks volumes…….

BBKK
    IA

Hopefully it speaks that I’m fed up with being antagonized and driven into arguments every winter by you two. Its always you two, every time, every winter. Once spring comes you go fishing and seem to leave me alone.

I’m going to fight back now, so buck up or knock it off. I don’t appreciate being called a woman because I promote a product I believe in.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Hopefully it speaks that I’m fed up with being antagonized and driven into arguments every winter by you two.

We DROVE you into an argument???
    You do a bang up job of this all by yourself…don’t blame anyone else

Quote:

Its always you two, every time, every winter. Once spring comes you go fishing and seem to leave me alone.

Dude,I think your getting a little paranoid if you think it’s just the 2 of us…Besides that..I fish more in the winter than other time of the year so the spring stuff has no merit…

Quote:

I’m going to fight back now, so buck up or knock it off. I don’t appreciate being called a woman because I promote a product I believe in.

First off…nowhere in this thread has anyone called you a woman…must be that paranoid thing again..
    2nd..
    You will NEVER tell me what to do….not to my face anyway.
    What are you gonna do..threaten to “visit” me or post my name and address on the web the way you did to the last guy who dared to disagree with you???
    Let me know ..I’ll post not only my name and address right here on the public forum ,but I’ll give you directions right to my house…
    I’ll be glad to meet you 1 on 1 and discuss this further ..

BBKK
    IA

You said I threatened to visit someone? I said the same thing you said to me, only the other way around. I told him I’ll stop on my way north so we can discuss the topic further… the exact same thing you said to me???? Doesn’t seem to be a threat to me? As for the address, I googled his name that was in his signature, not like I did some sneaky illegal background check.

As for nobody calling me a woman. You blind?

Quote:

my daughter has days like yours also, glad it only comes around once a month.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Sure is a lot of useful information on here about TFO rods……

travis mccolley

Yeah not sure why people can’t stick to the TFO subject. I like custom rods? Yes, can I say the guy next to me catches more fish? No. Have I been out in the middle of no where and had a rod break and not having less than a week to mail it in for replacement? Yep So having this discussion helps me in that I have not seen/picked up a TFO, now I will. Just cause some fancy guide will shed water more effeciently, doesn’t keep what water is remaining from freezing. Given the right conditions every rod eyelet can freeze. I like a fast tip and a good backbone about 1/3 back from the tip. If it fits my style, I’ll buy. Thanks to the rod builder guy for keeping the discussion factual.

I have a UL TFO and I love that rod, Looking at getting a Medium.

catmando
    wis

I was at thorns bro last year picked a walleye sweetheart, saw those tfo rods,got 2 ,I like them just fine, put a tripwire on one,and the other works great for a walleye dead stick.For the money they are a good buy. DK.

Viewing 22 posts - 31 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.