VMC Jigs

• Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

There are no local stores that sell VMC ice jigs so I am looking for some answers. How does the Pug Bug compare in size to Tungsten jigs. For example is the 1/64 Pug Bug bigger, smaller, or similar to a 3mm Tungsten? Similar questions for the Larva and Wax Tail Jig.

Thanks!

bee
    Maine

I don’t think anyone should use them.

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

I have noticed on my small amount of pug jigs that they have a very good hook shank that has room to put plastics on them and still have room for live bait if used. The Larva and Wax Tail are similar but they already have the plastic on them. I think if targeting smaller panfish the smaller sizes are good and when the big ones move in the heavier sizes should be used.

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

bee – I know why. Then you can have all the fish to yourself. Very nice crappies and sunfish.
    Haha now you should give us your coordinates

bee
    Maine

Quote:

bee – I know why. Then you can have all the fish to yourself. Very nice crappies and sunfish.

Haha now you should give us your coordinates

Southern half of Maine. Under the ice.

fishinhunt31
    Near Lake Winnebago

Can’t speak for anything other than the pug bug. The 1/64th is larger than a 3mm tungsten. However, I found that I could control it at the speed I wanted with plastic better than the 1/32. I haven’t found where it states that it’s tungsten so I’m presuming it’s lead (if it were tungsten I’m sure they’d tout it). I used it today, actually in 17 fow and as small as it is and using plastic I had hits on a lot of the fish I marked. Switched to 3 spikes when they were a little tighter lipped and caught a couple more. I like the jig….bounce it and it does a tight circle like a jigging rap and if using in line reels, won’t spin on you…unless you’re hopping it non stop for a minute or so.

BBKK
    IA

Curious about these jigs as well. Starting to fish some heavier jigs than I have in years past and I’m getting more hits than ever before. I think it gives plastics a better action! Currently using a 1/32 #10 jig from northland that came with their mayfly plastics and really like them. But they are $1.00 each as well.

Anyone know a place to buy these that doesn’t charge an outrageous amount for shipping? $1.00 each for a jig head is already up there beyond what I ever thought I’d spend.. I paint my own 1/80 and 1/64 for about $0.11 each but I can’t get 1/32 or 1/16 with that small of a hook! If anyone knows where I can get any 1/32 #10 jig head please let me know!

BBKK
    IA

Nevermind that last post! Found a source for 1/32oz with #10 VMC hooks. Happy camper now! Paid $.22 each unpainted shipped to my door. Twice what I normally pay but I really wanted them!

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

The 1/32 oz pug bug is a great little jig. Check out my last report on some slabs. The hook gap seems a bit larger than others I have used. Easily holds a mustache worm and some spikes. – QB

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.