This winter is kicking my butt big time

• scmelik
    South Dakota

I can honestly say I have never had a winter like this one, I am just royally getting my tail handed to me every time out. I started the season with high hopes, we were able to get out on the ice nice and early, in fact the earliest I have ever been on the ice, and we had a great trip absolutely pounding the perch and crappies. Second trip out pounded the crappies. Having had enough panfish for awhile I traded out my noodle rods and put in the walleye rods and ever since my season has gone down the tubes. I am not even finding fish, I don’t know how many holes I have drilled since Christmas but I have burnt through a 2 gallons of gas for my auger and have less than a dozen fish to show for it and nothing over 15-16″. I feel like I have been kicked like a rented mule, between the weather and struggling to get on fish I am starting to think its time to take up cross stiching

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

What depths have you been targeting? When all else fails I will go shallow. As in 10ft or less in/over green weeds. Run a string of tip ups with a buddy and jig in the shack while waiting for flags. Cover more water that way. We need more details of the methods you have tried. Tops or bottoms of sunken islands/rock piles. Mud flats? Also remember just because the were or weren’t there yesterday doesn’t mean they will or will not be there the next. Pick a piece of structure and fish it several times in various depths and conditions before writing it off!

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

What depths have you been targeting? When all else fails I will go shallow. As in 10ft or less. Run a string of tip ups with a buddy and jig in the shack while waiting for flags. Cover more water that way. We need more details of the methods you have tried.

I fished shallow, I’ve fished deep and I’ve fished in between. Almost every time I go out I drill enough holes to put my tipups out have a bobber rod and my jigging rod, here in SD we can have 4 lines in the water. 99.9% of the time I fish by myself so I cover as much water as I can with what I have. Its been a tough winter for all of us but man this year just seems likes its my year to just hang it up and wait for soft water HAHA.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.