Angling Edge – Can’t Watch It Anymore

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Saw the first episode this year, and seems pretty similar to the first episodes of past, all product pushing. Last year was the original shad rap I believe, old is new, and year before that can’t remember. They do have a couple here and there, but for the most part I think they do explain their locations, and presentations one of the best. Plus they show it doesn’t take $3-400 rods and $200 dollar reels to catch fish. I would give it a couple more episodes Pug and they will come through.

fishdale

Speaking of Gillespie, In fisherman and plugging products. In the last in fisherman mag I saw they talked about the “brat Bite” about someone that found a full Brat in a Pike. Of course all I could think of was if it was a Johnsonville. I guess some advertising does work.

blackbay

Quote:

…maybe john gillespie’s show is more your style.

WANNA JOHNSONVILLE WITH THAT SLABBO!!!!!?????

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Saw the first episode this year, and seems pretty similar to the first episodes of past, all product pushing. Last year was the original shad rap I believe, old is new, and year before that can’t remember. They do have a couple here and there, but for the most part I think they do explain their locations, and presentations one of the best. Plus they show it doesn’t take $3-400 rods and $200 dollar reels to catch fish. I would give it a couple more episodes Pug and they will come through.

I hope your right.

munchy
    NULL

GET THE FRABILL! GET THE FRABILL! GET THE FRABILL! GET THE FRABILL!

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

I still watch. At least IDO/James is current and does teach a few things. Angling Edge is good too. Look and see how many Slender Spoons are available this year and how you can’t hardly find a VMC product this year. Take it for what it’s worth, you like Rawhide better?

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Quote:

Pug,
    Did you turn 73 or was it 74 this year?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

I get where you’re coming from, Pug, but lets keep in mind that there isn’t really a whole lot of new, ground-breaking information about open water bass/walley/panfish fishing being developed. The basics like location and presentation are the same as they have always been. The basics that were being spouted by Buck Perry, the Lindners, and others 20 years ago still apply.

Nonsense. That’s like saying biologists are learning nothing new about lakes and other ecosystems. If you think we’re done developing new techniques, then the fishing industry would collapse.

I understand your point. Most fishing shows make minuscule tweaks to common techniques and call them ground breaking, but that statement as a whole is simply wrong.

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

One thing to remember is that most fishing shows generally don’t get paid to produce the shows, they are paid to promote their products. Lindner’s have always had a strong sponsorship with Rapala, Lund, and Mercury and therefore their show reflects those sponsorships. They switched from Shimano to Quantum a couple years ago, but generally, they remain strong in their sponsors. I feel they do a great job in their shows of how to explain the subtle things that go along with their products.
    I don’t see anyone on this site complaining that IDO has too many sponsors ads, or that James pimps his Ice Force gear.
    I think most of us would love to have full sponsorships from all the good companies and be able to fish full time- I know I do!

I agree. Ido is the only show I really watch anymore. But look at how things change. We went from custom jigs and spins and thorne bros to vmc and tucr. Summer shows we started seeing loomis instead of St. Croix. I wish I had the talent to have people paying me and giving products to use. But ultimately that’s why we have these shows. So companies can sell there product. Now me I use dh custom rods a vexilar a jiffy and a frabill shack. I don’t really fit in around here with all the sponsors.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I get where you’re coming from, Pug, but lets keep in mind that there isn’t really a whole lot of new, ground-breaking information about open water bass/walley/panfish fishing being developed. The basics like location and presentation are the same as they have always been. The basics that were being spouted by Buck Perry, the Lindners, and others 20 years ago still apply.

Nonsense. That’s like saying biologists are learning nothing new about lakes and other ecosystems. If you think we’re done developing new techniques, then the fishing industry would collapse.

I understand your point. Most fishing shows make minuscule tweaks to common techniques and call them ground breaking, but that statement as a whole is simply wrong.

I think the biggest changes are technology-electronics etc..
    Maybe I’m wrong but I bet the top three techniques for catching Walleyes are Rigging, jigging and trolling cranks.

riverbottoms

Whoever pays for the TV time makes all the rules plain and simple.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

All shows change merchandise sponsors including IDO. There is no getting around it. The thing I like about the Linders,and also on this website is that despite switching from one sponsor or the other,the products remain viable
    over time.
    Lindy rigs, Rapalas,Custom Jigs and spoons,are great examples.

James has one thing that stands out in my mind,that is The Mille Lacs Night trolling video from several years ago, to me I have never seen a more informative video out there.

JoeMX1825
    MN

If you think the show is bad, have you seen the In-Fisherman magazine lately? about 45 pages thick and more than 1/2 of those are full page advertisements. I cancelled my subscription after a few issues…just sad…

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Its the network that dictates the rules. And I mean RULES!!! A couple guys I hunt with started compiling all our video for predator hunting shows. Our intent was to have 4 to 5 shows ready to go plus a pilot, with the ability to get more put together to complete out a season while filming for the second if we were fortunate enough to be picked up by a network. Well, after looking atr how many hours it took to meet all the rules for the ODC, we had to nearly re-invent the wheel for FSN, Sportsmen…and so on. They tell you how many commercial gaps, when,..blah,blah, blah. Not to even get into where logos, text, and everything else can be placed in the image. I give kudos for those that do the editting. Very few people have the understanding of what they have to do to be complient.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

If you think the show is bad, have you seen the In-Fisherman magazine lately?

Yeah, I mentioned that previously in the thread. I laugh when they send me a subscription card now. $10 for a 3 year subscription. I just laugh. It’s like $10 for three years of product catalogs, not fishing information.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Quote:

If you think the show is bad, have you seen the In-Fisherman magazine lately?

Yeah, I mentioned that previously in the thread. I laugh when they send me a subscription card now. $10 for a 3 year subscription. I just laugh. It’s like $10 for three years of product catalogs, not fishing information.

It’s more like a brochure…

riverbottoms

Quote:

Quote:

Its the network that dictates the rules. And I mean RULES!!! A couple guys I hunt with started compiling all our video for predator hunting shows. Our intent was to have 4 to 5 shows ready to go plus a pilot, with the ability to get more put together to complete out a season while filming for the second if we were fortunate enough to be picked up by a network. Well, after looking atr how many hours it took to meet all the rules for the ODC, we had to nearly re-invent the wheel for FSN, Sportsmen…and so on. They tell you how many commercial gaps, when,..blah,blah, blah. Not to even get into where logos, text, and everything else can be placed in the image. I give kudos for those that do the editting. Very few people have the understanding of what they have to do to be complient.

I stand corrected Randy, sorry about that.

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

Have any of you watched “The Next Bite” with Gary Parsons, Keith Kavajecz, and Pete Maina? Plenty of product that those guys develop for Bass Pro. They are the market leaders for graphics and simulations showing techniques. I watch all the shows listed in this thread and not even IDO comes close to showing me what to do. (Night Fishing is IDO’s best video to date–still waiting for another like it.) The “Biters” did a show on my home waters and everything they did checked out accurate and they even taught me a new insight into my waters.

But, if you want real teaching videos, you have to follow tournament fishermen and their websites and YouTube videos. I get my best info and rigging ideas from small sources that aren’t playing to the networks. Yes, they still “pimp” for their sponsors but I can sort through the BS and find gear that works for me. One person you can learn a lot from is our own Brett King–google him. Do some homework and you’ll find a gem to let me in on.

In the meantime, I’ll be watching Angling Edge, The Next Bite, In-Fisherman, IDO, and Babe Winkelman. . .

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

I can’t believe this thread is still alive. What world do you live in if you think outdoor shows are not about selling product? Get over it.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I can’t believe this thread is still alive. What world do you live in if you think outdoor shows are not about selling product? Get over it.

Me:

Quote:

I understand that all fishing shows in the end are there to sell product, but its about balance for me.

I did end up watching the bass episode. It was not nearly as bad as the first episode. So Angling Edge is back on the docket.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Brett King

???

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

I live next door to him for the last two years and he’s taught me nothing about cat fishing. NOTHING!

saugerslayer

i quit watching angling edge because i cant stand the last 5 minutes of the show. has nothing to do with fishing. i also liked the episode a couple summers ago where he “invented” the technique of casting jigging rapalas for walleyes in open water. sorry al, ive been doing that for 15+ years. thats almost like claiming you invented the jig.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

You can say this all you want, but the Linder’s have done more to teach fishing to folks than anyone in the history of the sport. Every show will push products or they will be off the air. They need sponsors.

That said, the absolutely most sickening thing in the world nowdays is the facebook pros. My o My are there alot of wannbes and product pushers out there now days. I just laugh.

Anyone that is out there posting crap every day in their “ice team” gear, or “Lindy” clothes just looses all credibility with me anymore.

Sure like to see some of these self proclaimed “pro’s” throw their hat in the ring for some tournaments sometime to see how good they really are.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

i quit watching angling edge because i cant stand the last 5 minutes of the show. has nothing to do with fishing. i also liked the episode a couple summers ago where he “invented” the technique of casting jigging rapalas for walleyes in open water. sorry al, ive been doing that for 15+ years. thats almost like claiming you invented the jig.

What time is your show on?

Last 5 minutes don’t bother me at all. If I am not interested, I turn the channel.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I can’t believe this thread is 2 pages. Half the repliers I don’t think read my thread, but read into it instead.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

This bothers me. I made a post on this too sometime back. Al has his beliefs, as ignorant and dumb as I personally think they are, I completely give him due respect for sticking up to what he believes in and won’t put $$ in front of it. As mentioned if you don’t like it change it, but don’t cheat yourself out of some good info the 25 min prior to it. If you really have that big of grudge against church people maybe you hold on to something too long, get a psychiatrist or a lawyer…..

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

maybe you hold on to something too long, get a psychiatrist or a lawyer…..

or a good dog.

-J.

saugerslayer

Quote:

Quote:

This bothers me. I made a post on this too sometime back. Al has his beliefs, as ignorant and dumb as I personally think they are, I completely give him due respect for sticking up to what he believes in and won’t put $$ in front of it. As mentioned if you don’t like it change it, but don’t cheat yourself out of some good info the 25 min prior to it. If you really have that big of grudge against church people maybe you hold on to something too long, get a psychiatrist or a lawyer…..

Ok so when I choose not to watch it because I dont wanna hear a bunch of religious crap its a big deal? Im not the one whining about product promotion when its how THEY HELP PAY FOR THE SHOW. AS MENTIONED if you dont like it change the channel. Id rather spend my free time on the water instead of sitting on the couch anyway. The title of the post was “Angling Edge- Cant watch it anymore” not “lets cry about everything then defend it and say what a great show it is”. It shouldnt have been posted if peoples opinions hurt your feelings.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

But God created Al Linder. No Al Linder, no show, no sponsors.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.