Marcum Upgrade Question

• mn-z
    Stark, MN

I currently own an LX-7 and a VS825SD Camera. Should I sell the camera and upgrade my 7 to a 9? Or should I keep them seperate like they are?

Thanks

ps0345

Personally I like haveing them seperate. if you know anyone who has a 9 go out and try it with them. I still see the camera as a novelty of fishing. Although it is a great tool to use, you can’t use it 100% of the time.

duke.harbaugh

I would think separate. A lot easier on hole hopping.

BBKK
    IA

So is the lx9 just the lx7 with an upgrade and a detachable camera+cord? Or is there another piece of hardware added to make more weight? Could a guy just upgrade to lx-9 and then leave the camera off and in the truck/sled and then hook it up when you want to use it? Seems like that wouldn’t add any more weight until you are ready to use the camera, and if you are using the camera you won’t be hole hopping.

castle-rock-clown

I had a similar situation. But I was between buying a camera or getting the 7 upgraded to a 9. I went with the upgrade as I can detatch the camera, cable, and bag for a lighter smaller unit. Download and read the 9s owners manual, at least to me it seems the sonar side of the 9 has more features than the 7. If you decide to sell the 825 don’t give it away, it’s a great unit.

mn-z
    Stark, MN

And does the LX 9 have the same quality camera as the 825?

big_g
    Isle, MN

The LX9 has the camera port on the back, along with the software for the camera. Yes, you can use the LX9 as just the flasher, just like the LX7… there is a detachable bag that holds the camera and cord assembly. It’s as simple as unplugging the camera and hole hopping the same as the 7. I am not sure on the quality of the picture, I only have seen the LX9 which I am impressed with. I have only used it in 28 fow on a snow covered lake, really good light down that far

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

LX-9 camera is same as on the 825. It has a DVR built in and in my opinion, the bag for the LX-9 is better than the LX-7 for hole hopping – I like the handle arrangement better.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Now that you mention it, I do like the strap handle on the LX9… that the LX7 didn’t have

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

LX-9 camera is same as on the 825. It has a DVR built in and in my opinion, the bag for the LX-9 is better than the LX-7 for hole hopping – I like the handle arrangement better.

Now that I’ve had my LX9 for a year, using both on ice and open water, just a couple thoughts.

IF your going to use the camera, the DVR is awesome to have. I record a lot in open water when I’m seeking out new spots and watch them on my TV at home later to see what I missed.

Disconnecting the camera and leaving in the sled is ok and reduces weight. BUT, the bag doesn’t balance as nice in my opinion as when the camera is attached.

Every time I had the camera detached and left behind, I wanted it…..

Heavy unit for frequent hole hopping. Even heavier when you you have a pile of fish to carry back in addition to your equipment.

hank-s.
    Pardeeville, WI 53954

Randy,
    Totally agree about the bag not balancing when the camera is removed. I love the unit and it works really great so I added a second strap that goes from the middle of the case between the Velcro locations and ran it through the existing handle. It not only supports the front of the case and unit, it balances out the weight shift when the camera is not attached to the rear of the unit. I think it would be a good addition in general for Marcum to add. If you would like I can send you a picture of what I did.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

dont forget that with the upgrade, you now have dvr option that your 825 doesn’t have. its nice to record some fish, as well as record the sonar section too….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.