Leech Lake water clarity

• ricelake5

Heading to Leech Lake next week and I am curious on what the water quality is. Is it stained or fairly clear? Looking at some of the new tackle and there are some really good looking color combinations out there. Anyone had a hot color for Leech?

I ice fished Walker bay two Februarys ago for the first time and I could see my jig in 24ft of water. Not sure if this is the norm but the clarity at that time surprised me to say the least.

joetc
    Rogers and Longville, MN

Quote:

I ice fished Walker bay two Februarys ago for the first time and I could see my jig in 24ft of water. Not sure if this is the norm but the clarity at that time surprised me to say the least.

Its normal, Ive watched my bait in 25ft of water in walker bay. The main lake stays stirred up by the wind in the summer but also becomes very clear in the winter as it settles.

Joe

mn-z
    Stark, MN

How is the night bite in Walker Bay? I am headed there this weekend.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Quote:

How is the night bite in Walker Bay? I am headed there this weekend.

Great for Burbot Just kidding, the night bite is just okay but you’ll want to concentrate on dusk for sure.

As far as colors, the water is very clear but contrary to what I have learned elsewhere, gold seems to do better than silver for some reason. Green, white and chartreuse are good secondary colors.

mn-z
    Stark, MN

Thanks for the tips! I will sure to be set up well before dark Fri. On a side note where is a good place to get a burger and a beer for lunch Sat?

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Quote:

Thanks for the tips! I will sure to be set up well before dark Fri. On a side note where is a good place to get a burger and a beer for lunch Sat?

Bayside bar and grill (formerly Matties and The Wharf)on main street has good burgers and good specials too.

ricelake5

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to getting up there and enjoying a few days of nothing but fishing and maybe an adult beverage or 3

mn-z
    Stark, MN

Awesome thanks! I will be up Fri-Sun in an Ice Cabin, Stop by and say hi!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.