Wax worms vs plastics

• zachabbott
    NULL

What do you guys like better for crappie, wax worms or crappies?

ps0345

This year I’m doing a mix of both. It really depends on the activity of the fis IMO.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Plastics by a long shot. If the bite is really tough, I like colored maggots over wax worms.

Rarely do I find myself longing for bait these days. There are so many great plastics on the market, bait is becoming a thing of my past.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Last 2 times out I didn’t touch live bait. I’m hoping to be done with the spikes and waxies and go straight plastics all day everyday. Hitting a lake tomorrow for crappies and gills and i’m leaving the live bait at home.

Bryan Myers

For me it’s plastics all the way!! I do usually carry meat with me but its not very often that I’m using meat when chasing crappies.

shaley
    Milford IA

Plastics here 99% for crappies and gills, still use spikes on tough bite perch….

Ekez

I use mostly plastics but when it gets tough a slender spoon tipped with red spikes seems to be the ticket.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Plastic, there are no real tricks to using plastics other than building up your confidence while fishing them and finding what styles and colors fit you best. Once you start picking up some fish on plastic you will find yourself fishing them with more conviction and intent causing you to bring the plastic to life.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

I use mostly plastics but when it gets tough a slender spoon tipped with red spikes seems to be the ticket.

Now if you’d put a small, whippy-tailed red plastic on one of the hooks….just sayin.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Quote:

Now if you’d put a small, whippy-tailed red plastic on one of the hooks….just sayin.

X2

Ekez

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

X2

X3 lol I have done that and it does work. Once again though back to the confidence thing. I’ve had more luck with the red spikes on slender spoons.

BBKK
    IA

I don’t use bait unless tipping a spoon. The bite I am on right now is a meat bite. 4 spikes on a spoon gets nailed, 3 gets hits, 2 will get a nudge, and 1 won’t get touched. Strange, but you have to use what works!

I’ve used probably 150 spikes over fri-sat. Two bait pucks full of spikes.

tenchi

I make every trip worth the while so I carry both..plastic and meat..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.