Shack Shadow

• youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

I use an Eskimo 949i that I’ve been using lately on Pool 9. When I button it up… its black out in there. So my question is… Do you guys think that the shadow from the shack spooks fish? Not just in 2 ft of water on the Mississippi but clear lakes as well? Obviously if there is 2 ft of ice and a foot of snow on top the fish can’t tell there is a shack there. But early season with no snow and clear ice or relatively little snow?? Just wondering if anyone had noticed anything. Sometimes it seems like I catch more fish outside than in… maybe its just my imagination.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Some fish, like crappies, will often gravitate towards a shadow. Depending on the snow depth on the ice, that black spot might just help to move them under you.

I don’t think that shadow will hurt the fishing at all. Noise…now that will scatter fish.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Some fish, like crappies, will often gravitate towards a shadow. Depending on the snow depth on the ice, that black spot might just help to move them under you.

I don’t think that shadow will hurt the fishing at all. Noise…now that will scatter fish.

X2 If anything, the shadow will help draw them in.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I think more importantly, the shadow “masks” your movement. Obviously it doesn’t prevent sound, but it does hide your movement

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

What do you guys think about the reverse? Lantern in the shack at night.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I’ve always felt the shadow was beneficial rather than a hindrance. Depending on the suns angle and the depth you are fishing, there may be no effect at all.

I’ve also felt the light from inside the shack at night was a good thing as long as it was steady. Moving your body over top the hole and such WILL spook fish especially in shallow water.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I was thinking about this after I posted above. Years ago when I chased the first ice bite and ventured out onto 1-1/2-2″ of black ice, often best results came from having a 3′ x 4′ piece of indoor/outdoor carpet beneath me on the ice. In that situation, gills could see you moving through the ice and bolted. With the carpet, they couldn’t see you until they were top side of the ice

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.