Finally, we have had some Red Lake success

• Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

After a successful day on the water last Saturday, dad and I decided to hit Red Lake for some walleye action.

Dad and I arrived at Roger’s Resort to a balmy -26 degrees. After paying our fee and getting on the water we choose a spot that looked good on the map. However after drilling a few holes and finding dirty ice and water, we weren’t sure about the spot. But considering we couldn’t get to the spot we wanted to hit, we said we’ll try it here.

The ice seemed “odd” at the bottom of the hole. We found out after some messing around that there were sheets of ice floating under the ice that would plug up our holes. They were 2″-3″ thick and anywhere from 12″ X 12″ to 36″ X 36″. After about 45 minutes and no fish, we decided to brave the cold and find a better spot.

We moved out to a different (and better looking) spot on the map. After drilling the first hole, we were feeling better about the spot. After setting up the house, it was fish on within minutes (18.25″ walleye). We sat on the spot for about 3 hours with 14 fish and 10+ lost fish to our name.

The bite was an odd one today. The dinks all came on the dead stick with pink glow Frostee and white green Frostee jigs and a fathead. The bigger fish came of 1/8 oz VMC Tingler spoons in various colors.

One thing I wanted to share. There was one point where I started huffing and puffing like I was having a heart attack. You would think I just got off the treadmill. I really wasn’t putting two and two together until dad mentioned that he was having chest pains and shortness of breath and needed fresh air. Then it dawned on me, we were suffering from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. The lighter wouldn’t even light. That darn Eskimo Quick Fish 6 hub really does a good job keeping the air in (and out).

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Nice pics Wade. Glad you were ok and got some air! I keep the doors open a bit. Nice fish.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

were you using one of the buddy heaters that have a low oxygen shutoff?? I wonder if that really works…or if it is to late when it does work.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

were you using one of the buddy heaters that have a low oxygen shutoff?? I wonder if that really works…or if it is to late when it does work.

I run a sunflower heater. But yes, I have seen the Buddy Heater shut down in the same situation.

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

Nice work on finding fish. Glad you are alright. I always use the buddy heater and it has always shut down when short of oxygen. Be safe.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Yes they do work and yes they do shut off. Kind of nice but gets cold fast.

Wade,

Glad to see you have some success. I thought by your post the other week you were going to throw the towel in on ice fishing.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Wade,

Glad to see you have some success. I thought by your post the other week you were going to throw the towel in on ice fishing.

I was, but I so desperately want to be excited about ice fishing that I just keep plugging away. No other option but to sit in the house in front of the TV (which is not an option). The last two trips have really helped reignite something in me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.