QuickTip from Tuned Up Custom Rods

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Lets talk ice rods for a minute here. Us as consumers have a lot of choices in today’s market as to what type and length rod we want, just to name a few. Undoubtedly this is one of the more important pieces of gear that we have in our arsenal, right behind our flasher. If you are a hardcore walleye guy like myself you may want to pay attention here as Tuned Up Custom Rods have come out with a new rod that is totally customizable to the way you fish. Start with a 36 inch QuickTip rod which is ideal for lighter flutter spoons and smaller walleyes. I fished this on a 1/8th ox Tingler spoon from VMC and it is a dream. These rods have all the backbone you could ever imagine with a very fast and sensitive tip which allows you to work a spoon or lighter lure with sheer precision. But here’s the best part. Say you often fish heavier lures, such as a 5/16th oz jigging rap. The guys at Tuned Up can customize this rod for you and literally chop one, two, or three inches off the end to allow for heavier lures and modify it to the style of fishing that you do.

This past weekend I brought up a 36 inch Quicktip for my lighter spoons, and a 36 inch Quicktip with 2 inches chopped off the tip ( QT-2) so technically a 34 inch rod for my other lures I like to fish. For baits in that ¼ and 5/16th oz range this QT-2 is studly. It matches up with these larger lures and larger fish perfectly. I would have all the confidence in the world fighting a 28 plus inch fish on this rod and getting it up with ease. You will get no bending towards the butt of the rod whatsoever, yet the tip is forgiving and extremely sensitive. Being able to “work” a lure and have complete control and confidence on what is doing under the ice can pay huge dividends and this is only done with a flexible and remissive tip.

The picture below details this rod perfectly. Notice the tip and how it bends extra fast, but less than 10 inches behind that is all the power that you will ever need to fight a freshwater fish.

Tuned Up will have these rods available in their stand all weekend during the ice show. Be sure to stop by booth number 336 and check them out. I will be there all of Saturday morning so feel free to come in and ask specific questions regarding these rods or others that they offer.

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

DITTO, I have been using these rods this season and everything Grants states is true. The tip as the name implies makes this rod amazing. The softtip bounces a spooon along and allows you to fish it so many different ways. The Tingler spoon fishes will with more slow rhythic motion which allows the spoon to really show its true colors and action in the water. The QT paired with this has put some nice eyes topside for me this winter already. Excited for the days ahead. – QB

clintradtke

The sensitivity on these rods is amazing. Used both the precision and quicktip this past weekend and caught nothing but cigar (6″-12″) walleyes. I ended up catching a couple dozen of them but when talking with other guys fishing in the same area they were only catching 2-6 fish in the same time frame. You can feel the hit even from a 6″ walleye on both these rods. Now just need to find some larger toothier critters so I can give them a true test run.

Pic is the first fish of the year caught strictly on feel.

fisherman-andy

No need to convince us hardcore ice anglers. Were already sold. I will be picking up one or two at the ice show also.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Grant,
    Is the rod in the pic the QT or the QT-2? I have been talking with John for almost a week about Noodles and the QT and am very intrigued to say the least.

tucrs
    NW Metro

It is a QT-2.

It makes an amazing power walleye rod.

Tom Anderson
    Kasson, MN

From what you describe the quick tip sounds a lot like my precision. What is the difference between the precision and the quick tip. I was planning on ordering another precision this weekend but I want to know more about the quick tip. Thanks in advance.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

From what you describe the quick tip sounds a lot like my precision. What is the difference between the precision and the quick tip. I was planning on ordering another precision this weekend but I want to know more about the quick tip. Thanks in advance.

The quicktip has a fast tip but really strong backbone. the precision has a slower tip. In simple terms, I would jig a 1/8oz spoon with the precision before I did so with the QT. The QT will allow you to see the negative bites better, which I think would make a better perch rod altogether, but if you are jigging tungsten for eyes it will be perfect. I think others have said its a great panfish rod, but I love my TUCR precision noodle for that duty.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

The Quicktip in my mind allows you to work a bait with more “precision”. I was trying to think of a different word to avoid confusion but that noun describes its strong suit perfectly. When i jig, I want the tip to flex, this gives you control. If you have a stick that doesn’t bend and has a very slow action you have zero control over that lure and how it moves. Another advantage is tons of backbone to handle whatever may hit your lure.

The Quicktip should no longer be seen as a pan-fish or perch rod due to its customization abilities. Heck i fished the 36 inch regular quicktip and it handled 14 to 18 inch walleyes perfectly. Feel you catch bigger fish? Take an inch off the end, its really that simple.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Quote:

Heck i fished the 36 inch regular quicktip and it handled 14 to 18 inch walleyes perfectly. Feel you catch bigger fish? Take an inch off the end, its really that simple.

Will Roseberg was using a 36″ quicktip when filming the show here in Ely. It handled several eyes in the 18-22″ range without a care in the world. I wish the English language had words to describe the way the tip helped with his presentation; to say it as simply as I can, it was artistic.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.