2 questions about upper red lake

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I have never fished upper red and i am excited to go this year and see what all the fuss is about. I am wanting to take off this weekend and make a drive up there as i hear the fish are biting and they have 8+ inches of good ice. I have two questions that im hoping to get answers to:

1) is there a night bite on upper red? Im going to be fishing mainly walleye and, being that i have a limited amount of time this weekend to fish i would want to know if im looking at having just sunlight as fishable hours or if there is a night bite too.

2) Ill be fishing out of a portable due to ice thickness but i have an ice castle near by that i could pull out to the lake and sleep in. My question is is there a place, i.e. resort, land plot, parking lot… that i can park my fish house at as a homebase and sleep in at night instead of renting a room somewhere? Maybe a place where you get charged like 10$ a day or something?

Thanks for any input and ill let you all know how we do if we end of going up

bigcrappie
    Blaine

1)There is a night bite
    2)Check Rogers for a area for your house

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

I just got back and fishing was excellent.

For us, come 6pm it slowed wayyy down. Maybe it was just the area we were fishing but there was basically no bite after 6. You maybe could have scrapped out one every hour, but it wasnt worth it for us to stay when we were hooking 6-10 fish per hour at times during the day.

When we left last night, there were people pulling big houses out onto the lake with wheelers. Not sure what this storm will do to the ice tho.

Ill have a report up later tonight with some pics. If you are not going to the ice show this weekend, I’d say get up there!!

tbrooks11

So when the water does settle, does the night bite improve? will be there for the first time in the beginning of January.Got a sleeper shed so we will definitely be fishing after dark.

riverrat21
    duluth,mn

Might wanna wait til next weekend..Saturday’s highs are -2 lows of -17

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.