Bad runing ice auger

• andyjohnson

It runs good when the motor is cold on first start up but when warmed up it doggy when giving it gas and after awhile u have to play with the choke to keep it running I rebuilt the carb with a kit run carb cleaner through every little hole when I had it apart every thing looks good no cracked gas line gas cap still works air filter clean I have a feeling that it’s sucking air from some were since I have to play with the choke
    It’s a strike master 2hp the only thing I haven’t done is a new plug
    Any thoughts thanks

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Fresh gas?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Andy,

Are you close to the cities ?

castle-rock-clown

put in new plug, feed fresh gas / oil. check tightness of the fasteners that mount the carb to the cylinder / crank case. also check the exhaust mounting bolts. if the motor still acts sluggish and the motor has good compression then check your carb rebuild. good luck, hope it’s a simple, quick fix.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Had the same problem once. got turned onto Sea-foam after 1/2 a tank it was like a tuneup in a can. My auger and everything else now has Sea-Foam in it.

jeremystouffer

sounds like the plug to me with a liitle seafoam for good measure

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

I agree with all these suggestions. Try them first. If nothing works, give D-Rock in New Brighton a call if you’re close enough. They’ll have you running right

gary d
    cordova,il

Make sure you don’t have a air leak though the hoses. Sometimes people just don’t check that. Good luck!!! I just don’t believe some one is good to run old gas though a new start up.

tucrs
    NW Metro

I second D-Rock he has kept my augers running for a few years longer because he has NOS parts on hand.

andyjohnson

Put the new plug in still had same problem took the carb off went through it put it all back to geather and oops now I have gas comeing out the exhaust might have to get a carb or just take it in good thing the ice is still thin for the hand auger

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

If it were me I would adjust the jet screws and now re examine the diaphragm and needle valve…

Did you count the turns on the jet screws?

Did you remove the jet screws for cleaning and make certain they are the correct amount of turns out when you reassembled?

andyjohnson

Just thought I update my auger post what I ended up doing is that when I put the carp kit in the side that had the plastic cover I tighten the screws too tight and smashed the corners down the cover had a 1/2 moon curve to it not much but enough to leak air the parts store showed me the new carb it had no plastic on it so now I have new carb, plug and gas line should be good for awile so I learned some times snug May be tight enough and the gas coming out of the exaust was me flooding it really bad

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.