Marcum LX-5 in shallow water

• icefish55
    NULL

Do they spook fish in shallow water? Have a friend who won’t use his in less than 10′. So is he wrong or do they spook fish in shallow water? I fish a lot of shallow lakes for Gills, Perch where the depth can be 4′-8′.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Do they spook fish in shallow water? Have a friend who won’t use his in less than 10′. So is he wrong or do they spook fish in shallow water? I fish a lot of shallow lakes for Gills, Perch where the depth can be 4′-8′.

No, that’s basically a fish tale. Flashers don’t spook fish. Guys fishing the backwaters of the Mississippi River regularly fish in 18″ – 24″ (yes, inches!) of water and the fish don’t seem to even be aware there’s a flasher in the water.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Absolutely not! I fish my LX-5 & 7 in as shallow as 3-4 ft and as long as I can still find the lure in my transducer cone the fish aren’t spooky at all… I will add however that in clear water I keep my transducer in the hole because I think the sight of something hanging below the ice may spook them. I think this may be what is happening to some folks and they may think it is caused by the transducer signal.

Paul Delaney

I have heard people make this comment before and it is not the case. I do agree with what Will said that sometimes ecspecially in clear water people tend to have too much transducer cable below the ice and the fish are not used to seeing that and may become uncomfortable with that. Remember when fishing through the ice you want to have your presentation above the fish and when they are looking up at your bait it is best to have your transducer just below the ice.I feel that if fish were spooked by your sonar ping they would not stay in your cone angle for long which they so often do. Another tip I could give is when fishing shallow water on sunny days I will sometimes kick some slush ice into the ice hole to cut down on sunlight beaming through the hole.Remember your Marcum flasher is going to be your eyes below the water so never fish with out it you will catch more fish using it by simply knowing the fish are below you.

Paul Delaney
    http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Quote:

I use my LX5 in less than 10 ft. all the time. It works well and doesn’t spook the fish.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I use an LX5 and 6 in 6 feet of water and as low as 3 feet of water..thats is including the ice.. so like James said.. 18″ of water below the ice.. never has it ever spooked fish,,, I even get an occasional dog fish that will come up and bump my transducer.. yep yep.. he will come right up in the hole and bump it with his nose… Quite the site !!!

icefish55
    NULL

Thanks for the replies… all tips appreciated. Please keep them coming!

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

They sure do urine pike off. Have had mine grabbed by them on more then one occasion.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.