My New Rod Holder

• Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Not much more than a month ago I joined this site to gather opinions on flasher units. I was planning on upgrading my FL-8 and was trying to narrow down which unit I was going to upgrade to. The poll I submitted asked for votes on the Marcum LX7, HB Ice 55, and Vex FL 20 here @ http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ice&Number=1284253&Forum= The response I received was eye opening and the results of the poll were not even close, as the LX 7 took the majority by a landslide! So this weekend I got to use the LX5, LX6, and LX7 to compare them with the Vex. Within 30 seconds of using the LX5 the Vexlar became my new rod holder and it stayed as such for the duration of the trip. The LX 6 and 7 are both practically the same thing with different screen sizes; you will be happy with either, but I prefer the extra 2″ of screen with the LX7. The ability to fine tune these to each bait and technique in just seconds with only a few button presses was awesome. The target separation is unmatched on all 3 units, but in my opinion is even clearer on the LCD models. When the bite was slow I was hopping holes every 5-10 minutes without any issues. For you Vex guys out there, me being one of them for years; the lake bottom on a Marcum (believe it or not) is actually the bottom of the lake. The transducer arm is Saweeet too; it is so convenient to have the ducer where you want it and not floating around the hole, or constantly having to adjust the cord length to keep it from moving on you and getting twisted in your line with every jig. I think the only way to improve on these models at this point, would be to add a rod holder attachment to the Marcum units so I don’t have to bring my Vex out anymore. (Maybe they already have this, but I haven’t seen one yet) I could go on and on, but I think my point is clear, I’m a Marcum guy now.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

That’s why were here!

There are a lot of hard core fishermen on this site who rigorously put equipment to the test day in and day out. The results speak for themselves. Welcome to Team Marcum!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I wish I had video of a couple of Ben’s power slides to keep his deadstick rod from becoming bottom structure before he grabbed an extra Marcum and commissioned his new “rod holder”… I’m also pretty sure the guys at TUCR are going to be getting a call from Ben after he borrowed my Precision while I was trying out the new Quicktip that I had just picked up last week

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Quote:

I wish I had video of a couple of Ben’s power slides to keep his deadstick rod from becoming bottom structure before he grabbed an extra Marcum and commissioned his new “rod holder”… I’m also pretty sure the guys at TUCR are going to be getting a call from Ben after he borrowed my Precision while I was trying out the new Quicktip that I had just picked up last week

I was about to start talking about the TUCR rod too but the post was already getting long! A lot of fisherman I know have poisoned my mind with an idea that a custom rod isn’t as important on ice as it is with open water. Man are they ever wrong; the problem I will have now is whether or not to get a precision, or the quick tip. If your quick tip wasn’t always doubled over fighting a fish I would have begged to try it out too. I guess I will have to get both! A TUCR paired with the marcum improved my ability to convince some of those lethargic fish into biting when my other setup was sure to have failed! At one time I had the same Slender Spoon on both rods and when fishing with my budget combo the marked fish would drop back to the bottom within seconds; I switched to the TUCR/Sienna combo right away and brought the fish up off the bottom again. After playing it for 15 seconds I was able to tell what presentation that fish needed and the rod let me give her just that, FISH ON!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Quote:

That’s why were here!

There are a lot of hard core fishermen on this site who rigorously put equipment to the test day in and day out. The results speak for themselves. Welcome to Team Marcum!

Thanks Grant, I’m glad to be a part of the Marcum family!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The LX6 and 7 may be obsolete by the time I replace my sweet LX5!!!!! But I don’t mind using old tech when it rocks. Just ask my 2004 2hp Jiffy Stealth.

steuben1
    Indiana

I’m new to TUCR’s also. Got my first one this year. That’s the good news. The bad news is my wife is a good stick and ice fishes with me too. She found my TUCR. Yes, John is building me one with pink accents for her. And to think I thought it was cool she liked ice fishing as much as I do. Dummy.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

I’m new to TUCR’s also. Got my first one this year. That’s the good news. The bad news is my wife is a good stick and ice fishes with me too. She found my TUCR. Yes, John is building me one with pink accents for her. And to think I thought it was cool she liked ice fishing as much as I do. Dummy.

I had John and Adam hook me up with a Precision that had pink wraps last year fror my wife… She absolutely loves it and since I’m comfortable enough in my manliness to fish with a pink rod whenshe’s not along I’ve got a 2nd Precision ready to go. It’s a win-win proposition!

steuben1
    Indiana

Quote:

Quote:

I had John and Adam hook me up with a Precision that had pink wraps last year fror my wife… She absolutely loves it and since I’m comfortable enough in my manliness to fish with a pink rod whenshe’s not along I’ve got a 2nd Precision ready to go. It’s a win-win proposition!

That’s genius Will. I wonder if she would like a Precision Noodle?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

The LX6 and 7 may be obsolete by the time I replace my sweet LX5!!!!! But I don’t mind using old tech when it rocks. Just ask my 2004 2hp Jiffy Stealth.

I remember being excited when Coleman came out with a propane lantern and didn’t need the fuel anymore. I don’t think as many shacks catch on fire as used to be the case!

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

You know it’s hard to say anything bad about a Vex. There bullet proof and paved the way for other companies to grow off of. BUTTTTT once you try a MarCum out it’s impossible to go back. I had the world by the butt when I got my LX-5, the fine line was so awesome. Now the LX-7 guys if you can swing the upgrade just do it. JMO

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

I was about to start talking about the TUCR rod too but the post was already getting long! A lot of fisherman I know have poisoned my mind with an idea that a custom rod isn’t as important on ice as it is with open water. Man are they ever wrong; the problem I will have now is whether or not to get a precision, or the quick tip. If your quick tip wasn’t always doubled over fighting a fish I would have begged to try it out too. I guess I will have to get both! A TUCR paired with the marcum improved my ability to convince some of those lethargic fish into biting when my other setup was sure to have failed! At one time I had the same Slender Spoon on both rods and when fishing with my budget combo the marked fish would drop back to the bottom within seconds; I switched to the TUCR/Sienna combo right away and brought the fish up off the bottom again. After playing it for 15 seconds I was able to tell what presentation that fish needed and the rod let me give her just that, FISH ON!

Good gear is even more important in the winter from my experience! Fish are much tougher to catch most of the time.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I picked up an LX-5 last year after trying out an Ice 35, Ice 45 and an Fl-8. To me the LX-5 blew them all out of the water. And it was used so I got a great deal on it. I have been looking at DH and TUCR but it os hard to commit without feeling the rod.

BBKK
    IA

If you do a “stock” rod (no customization) from TUCR I am pretty sure they would take it for a return if it isn’t what you wanted. That’s just the kind of people they are. I have no experience with DH so I can’t comment there.

Bryan Myers

It’s great to hear the poll pointed you toward a unit that you really like. When I switched from a vex to the Marcum I couldn’t believe how much I was missing with the vex. The Marcum is just unbelievable!

I have seen a guy that mounted the Otter rod holder on his LX9 and it worked great for hole hopping. It allowed him to easily carry a second rod. I am going to try and mount one on my LX5 and if it works out I will put some pics up.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

That would be great Brian, I will keep an eye out for your post.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

A rod holder on the LX-5 would be awesome!

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

I you could find a rubber grommet that fits in the transducer arm mounting hole, you should be able to slide the Otter rod holder right into it.

fireline
    Rochester

Quote:

I agree 100%

Bryan Myers

Here is what I did to my LX5. I took the bracket from the Otter rod holder and I removed the thumb screw on the side of the unit then used one of the screws that came with the rod holder and put the screw through the top hole of the bracket into the unit to replace the thumb screw. Then I just took a tie strap around the bottom so it couldent pivet. I am going to try it this way because I really don’t want to have to start drilling holes.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.