Oiling up Reels

• scmelik
    South Dakota

I feel kind of foolish posting this but this is something I have never done, never thought about, never cared about before. Up until the past few years my gear has been cheap combos from the big box stores and they have worked well, I’ve caught a lot of fish and had a great time. Now that I am slowly upgrading all of my equipment to more expensive nicer rods and reels I want to make sure I am taking care of them as best as I can which means that its time to put a little Hot Sauce on my reels.

Since I have never done this before I am not 100% sure exactly how, where to put oil. Can someone walk me through it and if you could throw up a picture or two that would be even better.

Thanks guys

Scott

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

I’m excited to hear the responses too.

what do you put oil on vs. grease too?

thanks

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

This might not be the answer you are looking for but I send mine in for cleaning/lube annually. I have done it myself in the past but just one broken or lost part can be a real pain, especially with my clumsy/fat fingers.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Google your reel type/make for specifics. I use the standard oil that came with them. Most spinning reels have an access port to add a drop, lube the bail, wipe down, loosen drag to store. Most bait casters remove reel handle (tool came with reel) and remove drag wheel to expose bearing for a drop of lube. Remove spool tension knob, usually a spring underneath careful not to loose and lube bearing under. Remove non reel side cover and lube bearing. Lube both sides of worm gear and turn a few cranks. Loosen drag and tension for storage and wipe down. Takes me about an hour for 4 spinning and 10 baitcasters.

Paul Delaney

For most spinning reels it is not difficult and a great idea to do at least once a year. Remove the spool and oil the shaft and spin the reel a few times to allow oil to move about then remove the handle and open one side of the reel oil well and put back together and finally oil the handle shaft and put back together wipe down and you are ready to go. Good luck fishing.

Paul Delaney
    http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

As a rule, I make sure the reels are very warm so things are less apt to stick together. Setting them on top of a water heater for a couple hours works well.

Remove the screws from the side cover and very slowly, carefully lift it off the reel. I use alcohol and q-tips dipped in it to wash grease off the gears. If there is a ton of grease, I’ll slip it off with the tip of a blade of my pocket knife or an exacto tool knife, then I wash the gears down. When I am done, I have no visible grease inside the case.

The Hot Sauce is a primo product and is what I use. I put a drop where the handle shaft goes into the housing. I put a drop where the drive shaft runs thru the case towards the rotor and bail. I finish the inside with a couple drops directly on the gears, then re-assemble. Depending on the reel brand, I might put a drop where the rotor and the frame meet [where the rotor turns around the outside of the main body]. I finish by putting a drop at each end of the bail. I give the reel about fifty continuous spins and work the bail a couple times, then I lay the reel back on the water heater on a paper towel or two to catch any oil that may want to crawl out of where it was put.

The Hot Sauce has a hyper low viscosity and creep in and coat hard to get to places without needing to take the whole reel apart. I make-up of the oil makes it adhere to those surfaces without becoming gummy or jelling. Its an excellent cold weather lube as well as an all-season lube.

BBKK
    IA

For a basic maintenance oiling, take off the handle and put one drop of oil on each bearing (one on each side of the reel). That’s it, all you have to do.

DO NOT put oil down the spool shaft or in that hole. It leads directly to the gears and will “water down” your grease. You grease gears, oil bearings. If you want to do the inside then you need to take off the side of the reel and use a Q-tip to remove all of the old grease, then re-apply a small amount of grease to each gear. On some reels there will be a spool bearing, if it is an open non-shielded bearing then it gets grease, if it is a shielded bearing (can’t see the balls inside) then it gets oil. That’s all you have to do there.

For ice fishing, make sure you use very little oil on the bearings.. and make sure it is a very thin oil. Hotsauce works great.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Great info……. thank you all for posting. I have cheep stuff, but even that is worth keeping up and getting as much use out of as possible.. Its all I got.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.