Honda Strikelite oil fill

• nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

I have a Honda Strikelite, as well as a Strikelite 2. I emailed Strikemaster about refilling the oil. They sent me the manuals, and it shows each auger uses 1.7oz of oil. Is this correct? I thought there was a revised memo last season about incorrect amount of oil on the Honda?

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I thought it was 3.4 oz but could be wrong. Their tune up kit comes with 3.4 oz.

http://www.rapala.com/HTUK/HTUK,default,pd.html?start=5&cgid=strikemaster-power-miscParts

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

And see the memo I got from SM says 1.7oz to refill, but says the crankcase capacity is 3.4oz. That’s where Im confused.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I thought it was 3.4 oz but could be wrong. Their tune up kit comes with 3.4 oz.

http://www.rapala.com/HTUK/HTUK,default,pd.html?start=5&cgid=strikemaster-power-miscParts

That’s correct. 3.4 Oz of 0W-20. Here’s the link to the oil >>> http://www.rapala.com/0W-20/0W-20,default,pd.html You can usually find the oil at Fleetfarm, etc. if you don’t want to order online.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I can see where that would be very confusing.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

And see the memo I got from SM says 1.7oz to refill, but says the crankcase capacity is 3.4oz. That’s where Im confused.

The oiling info has changed this year from last. Last year I was told to run 1.7 oz. This year I’m told to “fill ‘er up” with 3.4 oz.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Refill it when it is half empty?

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Thanks Guys! I just want to make sure Im right. It specifically says ‘do not overfill’ However, If I run it at 1.7oz, its now only half full. Do you know if I go with the full 3.4 on the Strikelite 2 (Robin) as well?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Thanks Guys! I just want to make sure Im right. It specifically says ‘do not overfill’ However, If I run it at 1.7oz, its now only half full. Do you know if I go with the full 3.4 on the Strikelite 2 (Robin) as well?

Here’s the sticker found on the crankcase of all current Honda Lite augers. It definitely calls for 3.4 oz.

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Who would have thought to look at the auger? I never even paid attention to the stickers on it.
    Thanks for the info guys.

hank-s.
    Pardeeville, WI 53954

This is very interesting though. This summer I received from Strikemaster a package for my new Honda unit that gave me new oil and the sticker. It specifies putting the auger tip at exactly 5.5″ from a horizontal flat surface and the oil can only come to the very bottom of the hole when in that position. Let me tell you that it does not take anywhere near the 3.4 oz of oil that the manual says to use. It is much less than 3 oz of oil when filled per the exact instructions.

mn-z
    Stark, MN

So if I have a BRAND NEW one that I ordered from the Rapala site that came with oil (I have no idea how much) am I good or do I need to add more?

hank-s.
    Pardeeville, WI 53954

Well there are 2 ways to find out; one is to contact Strikemaster and ask the question directly or I believe I still have the instruction sheet they sent me this summer for my new unit and you can see what they told me in that document. Either way you will know what Strikemaster has indicated is the correct method.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Well there are 2 ways to find out; one is to contact Strikemaster and ask the question directly or I believe I still have the instruction sheet they sent me this summer for my new unit and you can see what they told me in that document. Either way you will know what Strikemaster has indicated is the correct method.

I thought I’d get to the bottom of this, so I contacted Jason Culp of Strikemaster fame. Here’s his reply:

Here are the correct current oil info regarding all StrikeMaster 4 strokes.

There have been multiple changes in the last few years regarding proper crankcase oil (weight and amount)used in 4 stroke equipped StrikeMaster power augers.

Any StrikeMaster unit using the Robin EH035 engine equipped on all StrikeLite and StrikeLite II models:

Currently require use of 1.7 ounces of 10W-30 conventional crankcase oil. (Original specs called for 3.3 ounces of 0W-40 synthetic oil.)

Any StrikeMaster unit using Honda GX35 engine equipped on

all StrikeMaster Honda Lite models:

Currently require use of 3.4 ounces of 0W-20 synthetic crankcase oil.  (original Honda specs ,called for 10W-30 @ 1.7 ounces.)

This should help clear any confusion.

hank-s.
    Pardeeville, WI 53954

Thanks Joel for going to the source. I have my data sheet that came with the new oil package that Strikemaster sent me this summer and I will try to attach it here as well. It says the same and details all the specifics.

mn-z
    Stark, MN

But is 3.4 oz what they send to you in the package when you buy a new one. I don’t remember. I just put in what they sent me.

hank-s.
    Pardeeville, WI 53954

Yes, they sent the amount shown on the document, 3.4oz and if you set the unit as shown and carefully add the oil, it will take around the 3+ oz of the oil. As long as it is as shown and using Strikemasters directions, I figure it has to be correct.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.