Reccomendations on an ice house.

• jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

I am looking for a small’ish 2 man ice house. Super mobile and light yet I want to be able to pull it behind an ATV once in a while. My otter Cabin is just to big to be pulling anywhere at my age.

jsrevermann
    Central MN

The Clam Nanook might be what you are looking for. It has a lower, lighter weight sled. There will not be quite as much room in it as your otter, but it should be easier to move for you. It will have less head room too. It comes with two swivel seats and if you only plan on fishing alone you can leave one of the seats at home to save on weight.

You can add a hyfax kit if you plan on pulling it with an atv or snowmobile.

I was torn between the Otter Cabin and the Clam Nanook, and got the otter because they are built a lot stronger, but if you don’t use it 4 plus days a week like I do the Clam could be just what you are looking for.

I love my Otter Wild Cabin, but it can get a little heavy when pulling through snow by hand, and it is plenty heavy for one guy to load into the truck. I like the bench seat for being able to get my kids in with me.

Good Luck with your decision!

http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fishing/http-clamcorp-com-ice-fishing-shelters/fish-trap/2-person/nanook.html

flatlandfowler

I often fish alone but am tall and like the extra room of a smaller two man. I have always looked for the lighter 2 mans with swivel seats and have ended up with a Frabill both times. I currently have a Trekker 2 DLX, specs show it a bit heavier than I remember but I have no problem loading it in the back of my truck. I have been happy with the Frabills… just an opinion for what its worth.

dbright
    Cambridge

I had a nanook for a season it will definitely fit your intended use but on days you spend a lot of time in the house you will notice the lack of comfort with the cheap swivel seats. I do wish I still had it to use early ice though.

travis-dewitt
    Alexandria, MN

I also agree on the Clam Nanook. I have fished out of this house a number of times with my boss. It is very light weight but still holds up to seasons worth of abuse. We only pulled it by hand due to the fact that the ice was thin, or that there was too much snow to get out on the wheeler. It can get a little tight at times depending on the size of guy you are fishing with, but once you get settled in, it is very nice to fish out of.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

I am looking for a small’ish 2 man ice house. Super mobile and light yet I want to be able to pull it behind an ATV once in a while. My otter Cabin is just to big to be pulling anywhere at my age.

Do not get a nanook. Hardest pulling sled I have ever seen. You can pull a 4 wheeler in neutral easier than that thing. Even with 1/2″ of snow you can feel it dragging, over an inch and its darn near impossible. We have to take turns pulling it unless its empty. Usually now I just pack all the augers, rods, gear, heaters, clothes, and buckets in my frabill 1 man. Even loaded down heavier than the nanook it pulls 10 times easier. Empty the nanook weighs about 48 pounds, pulls like its 248.

The problem is the design of the sled, its big and flat. Its like pulling a concrete block.

Last year it wasnt bad at all, we spent 90% of the time on the ice with bare hard ice. It pulled really easy, especially with a wind behind you on the slick surface. In 2011 we had a lot of snow, over a foot most of the season. It was brutal pulling that thing, me and a buddy had to take turns just to get it 300 yards across the ice.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Do not get a nanook. Hardest pulling sled I have ever seen. You can pull a 4 wheeler in neutral easier than that thing. Even with 1/2″ of snow you can feel it dragging, over an inch and its darn near impossible. We have to take turns pulling it unless its empty. Usually now I just pack all the augers, rods, gear, heaters, clothes, and buckets in my frabill 1 man. Even loaded down heavier than the nanook it pulls 10 times easier. Empty the nanook weighs about 48 pounds, pulls like its 248.

The problem is the design of the sled, its big and flat. Its like pulling a concrete block.

Last year it wasnt bad at all, we spent 90% of the time on the ice with bare hard ice. It pulled really easy, especially with a wind behind you on the slick surface. In 2011 we had a lot of snow, over a foot most of the season. It was brutal pulling that thing, me and a buddy had to take turns just to get it 300 yards across the ice.

Actually the non thermal Nanook weighs in at 80LBS and the full thermal version of it weighs in at 85LBS.

did you install the runner kit on it. One tip I heard is to spray the bottom of the sled with a cooking spay like Pam. it was claimed that it makes it slide easier but I have never tried it on any of my houses. My Brother in law has a full thermal Nanook and I have never heard any issues about it from him. personally I will be buying one of these and a X2 thermal next year. they are great houses.

broman

Get an Otter Cottage or find a used Otter Den II. I have the Den II (old green style with square poles). Super light and pulls very easy. I’ve even put two couch cushions in the bottom and slept in it a few times.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actually the non thermal Nanook weighs in at 80LBS and the full thermal version of it weighs in at 85LBS.

did you install the runner kit on it. One tip I heard is to spray the bottom of the sled with a cooking spay like Pam. it was claimed that it makes it slide easier but I have never tried it on any of my houses. My Brother in law has a full thermal Nanook and I have never heard any issues about it from him. personally I will be buying one of these and a X2 thermal next year. they are great houses.

You are correct, that was my mistake. I confused it with my frabil which weighs 48 empty. I can’t remember the exact weight of the nanook but I think you are pretty close at 80. This one is non-thermal.

No runner kit. This was the old style nanook, I know they changed the design either last year or the year before so they may be easier to pull now.

I have also heard the pam trick, as well as spray silicone. I can’t do either one though since we have to pull through some wooded area and down some train tracks to get to the ice… any coating would just rub right off.

Ski’s might be the answer, a “smitty sled”. I think I’m going to do it this year, the nanook is my father’s and he is getting up there in age now. He can’t pull it around anymore unless we are on easy accessible bare ice.

wanderlust

frabill trekker dlx thermal with hyfax should do the trick

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

ill second a trekker if weight is your big concern. They are nice and light. However I feel to acheive the lower weight you can definitly tell they skimped on the sturdiness the tub and poles.

I have 2 years on mine and its holding up but I only use it a few times a year. If you are hard on your gear or use it a ton I would stick with an Otter.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.