Lindy Darter vs Rapala Lip-Less

• Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I have never targeted Eyes through the ice but have read where the Lindy Darter and a Rapal Lip-less Crank (Rattlin’ Rap) can be successful. What does everyone prefer? I have no preference as I have not tried either. Or do you prefer a different lip-less presentation for eyes?

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Get a few of each, they cover different colors and sizes and I’ve found that sometimes one out-performs another in different situations. Personally I like the control of the rippin rap over the darter.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

The Darters, both Lindy and Salmo, will have some rattle with an eratic “darting” action. The Rattlin Rap won’t have quite the same darting action but will has a louder rattling chamber. If it was me, I’d pick up a couple of both in your favorite color. Also, take a look at the Salmo Zipper as it’s similar in style to the Rattlin Rap.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

The Darters, both Lindy and Salmo, will have some rattle with an eratic “darting” action. The Rattlin Rap won’t have quite the same darting action but will has a louder rattling chamber. If it was me, I’d pick up a couple of both in your favorite color. Also, take a look at the Salmo Zipper as it’s similar in style to the Rattlin Rap.

X2 Salmo!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Another thing to take into consideration is proximity… If you’re fishing within 3 feet of another hole, the darters have a tendency to catch nearby lines at depths greater than 25 feet. This can be an advantage on less active fish/stained water/low light, because you will potentially cover more of an area in your water column, but tangles can be a con. You may also want to consider a 30lb floro leader if you’re fishing an area known to hold pike.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

Quote:

X2 Salmo!

The Rippin’ Rap has a much louder rattle and works great for to use for calling fish in when fishing in open water or areas with limited structure where you’re looking to attract fish which might be 30-40′ feet out… It was an awesome producer for us last year up on Winnipeg where we where we were fishing mostly flat areas without a lot of structure. Also very successful for triggering aggressive strikes from larger fish.

I think of the Darter as well as the Salmos in more the same category as the original ice fishing Rapalas, known for their action but not as much to call fish in from a distance. Since I Mille Lacs a lot in the winter and for whatever reason I’ve never had much success there with the Darters (Salmo or Lindy) I don’t have much confidence in them but I do know a lot of people who swear by the Salmos especially up on LOTW. Like others have said the best thing to do is buy a couple of each and try them all

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.