Spoon/Darter Storage

• scmelik
    South Dakota

How are you guys storing your spoons, darters, puppet minnows, blade style baits? For the past many moon I have always just put them in a regular plano box and dealt with tangled hooks, but now I am getting to the point where I have so many of them that I spend way to much time getting hooks untangled.

Has anyone found a good box or innovative way to store these baits without taking up a huge chunk of space or having to deal with a rats nest of hooks?

rwmcvean

On this list, the only thing I can comment on is blade bait storage (or crankbaits or anything with at least 2 treble hooks). I saw a show on the InFisherman once where a guy uses rubber bands to hold the trebles together and then throws all of the lures into one large open box. When you pick up one, you actually only get one (instead of 16 all snagged together). Works great for me, not sure what to do with all the other baits though.

steuben1
    Indiana

I used this “Spoon Caddy” and it works real well. Not sure if they are still making them or not? None of the hooks get tangled and the paint stays on all the lures. I can throw this box around and nothing moves.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

It’s a little bit of a pain at first but I went to a craft store and bought small zip lock bags like 2″ by 2″ and bagged each spoon individually. Keeps the paint on and prevents tangles and you can really pack them in to a small flat plano box to save space.

Darters I just do 1-2 per slot to minimize tangles and prevent wear riding in the portable.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Treble hook bonnets at janns netcraft are cheap and keeps trebles from getting tangled….

fishhead50111
    Central Iowa

Here is something different for keeping all those jigging spoons from being tangled up, and just took some time to cut up the tubing. About $12 of tubing, already had the Tackle box, the jigging spoons fit into the tubes and the treble hooks sit on top. Might have to trim some of the tubes down so the lid closes better, another day. Now for sorting out some spoons. This would work for smaller boxes, might need to find a deeper box for the larger spoons I have.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Quote:

I used this “Spoon Caddy” and it works real well. Not sure if they are still making them or not? None of the hooks get tangled and the paint stays on all the lures. I can throw this box around and nothing moves.

Do you store jigging raps and darters in there as well?

steuben1
    Indiana

Yep, store both of them. Best solution I have found. I have quite a few of them because I have them on my boat @ Erie and store my stinger spoons in them during the summer.

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

Yep, store both of them. Best solution I have found. I have quite a few of them because I have them on my boat @ Erie and store my stinger spoons in them during the summer.

I wasn’t able to find the box you were talking about but I did find a Plano spoon box that looks a lot like that at Cabelas. Hopefully it will be what I need because what I am using now just isn’t working.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

I wasn’t able to find the box you were talking about but I did find a Plano spoon box that looks a lot like that at Cabelas. Hopefully it will be what I need because what I am using now just isn’t working.

http://www.walleye.com/spooncaddy.htm

BBKK
    IA

Take any thick plano box and cut out all of the dividers with a dremel tool. Cut out a thin (3/4″) piece of hard styrofoam that will fit in the box (not the kind that falls apart when you touch it, the hard stuff like cooler insulation). Glue it down real well. Take an exacto knife and cut small slits in it. Then take a fine point sharpie marker and run it down each slit so you can see them in low light. Be sure to let it dry for a couple days so it doesn’t rub off wet on your spoons, some of it will rub off but enough will stay so you can see each slit.

Place your spoons in each slit, treble hooks up in the air.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.