Flip over shack advice sought

• to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

So……as much as I wanted the new truck to be an extended cab w/ 6.5 foot box, the wife talked me into the SCREW cab and a 5.5 foot box. Of course, this no longer allows my old clam flip over to fit in the bed with the tailgate closed. I’m wondering if there are others on here that have made the switch to the 5.5 foot box and found a flip over shack that fits well inside the bed. I needed a new shack anyway, so this isn’t a real big deal but…….I also got a roll up tonneau cover as well which reduces the usable bed length to 5ft 1in.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

Let me suggest an idea that allowed me to haul a 12′ Jon boat in the back of my Silvarado, even though it hung over by about three feet with my endgate down. Install eye bolts on the front of your sled where the pull rope is attached. With your endgate down and the shack sitting on it, run a short rope through both eye bolts and attach it to both sides of your pick-up box. Since most (3/4) of the weight is supported by the bed, it will ride comfortably just about any place you can drive. If you don’t feel this is a good option, that’s OK. It’s just a thought. ( oh, and I attach a red or orange flag to the end sticking out, just to be street legal.)

jdsailer

I have the shappell fx200. It’s 5′ long and has plenty of room for 2. It fits in my jeep just as well as it did my truck. The best thing about it is there’s no extendable poles.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Hub tent would be a room saving alternative. Lighter but not as fast as a running and gunning setup. Also can give you wider hole spacing inside. Just an idea.

Tombat74

I encountered the same issue. The new X1 from Clam is designed specifically to go in the 5 ft bed of the newer trucks. Check them out. I sat in one recently and they’re pretty sweet.

http://www.clamoutdoors.com

soldiersdad1
    La Crosse, WI

I/we have no problems fitting any of the Eskimo Quick Flips that we use, into our 5.5ft. beds and closing the tailgates and topper windows.

c_w
    central MN

My Otter Cabin fit just fine into the back of a buddies little crew cab. I’ve got an 18″ tool box on my 6.5′ box and I can put it in backwards and rest the front lip up on the tailgate and still get it closed with out removing the tool box. Most likely I’ll have to take the tool box out this year so the new Lodge will fit.

CW

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Clam Yukon fits in mine

munchy71
    Stuart, Iowa

Quote:

I encountered the same issue. The new X1 from Clam is designed specifically to go in the 5 ft bed of the newer trucks. Check them out. I sat in one recently and they’re pretty sweet.

http://www.clamoutdoors.com

They’re actually designed so that TWO of them will fit in the bed at the same time….

-Munchy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.