ATV or Snowmobile

• Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Not sure if there is a good answer to this, but wondering if you prefer an ATV or a Snowmobile for ice fishing. Which and Why?

tucrs
    NW Metro

ATV for me is more useful throughout the year. I spend more time riding and using then fixing. Last year I went through 30+” of snow granted I am going slower, I found my gear was not all toss about.

I seemed to enjoy it more. I really like snowmobiling but, it seems to me sleds are over priced 10k+ to 6K+ for a ATV that I use throughout the year and really seem to enjoy.

It is easier to haul a sled out slowly. I only go max of 5 miles so 20 mph is just fine. Maybe that means I am just getting older.

bee
    Maine

I have both. I find that to fish when I want and not when conditions say I can that I need both.

Rope
    Kansas

ATV for me. mainly because that’s what I have,and the fact I live in Kansas. Very few times to use a sled.

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

Quote:

I have both. I find that to fish when I want and not when conditions say I can that I need both.

X2

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have neither but thought that a 2 up might have the most value in the long run if you plan to use for ice fishing and utility. Tracks for the winter would make it an ice fishing machine.

KJK
    Cottage Grove

I’ve had (2)atv’s over the last few years. Neither one of them started all that well on those really cold mornings.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

I’ve had (2)atv’s over the last few years. Neither one of them started all that well on those really cold mornings.

I have an 83′ Honda that will start in -20 or 100.
    There is something wrong with your machine or “mechanic”.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

I really don’t have an use for a wheeler, so therefore I have a 2 up snowmobile for ice fishing. And I can use it to trail ride from my house, pending snow, if I wish. I have seen wheelers stuck were a sled wouldn’t have an issue. It really depends on where and how you an to use it. If your looking for most use per dollar a wheeler is the ticket. If your looking strictly for ice fishing I would lean more towards sled as the snow will rarely be too deep! And no messing with chains, weights, and failing 4 wheel drives.

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

I’ve got an ’04 Sportsman 700 with oversized tires that I use for hunting and ice fishing. I’ve also got an Otter Monster Box with auger carrier and rod box on that back rack. That is the cat’s meow for a day on the lake. Between now and ice up I plan to add a lift kit and stiffer springs to get some additional ground clearance and keep those oversized tires from rubbing when plowing or carrying a passenger out on the lake with me. I’ll also be getting it set up for a set of Tatou 4S tracks . There won’t be a fish under ice safe later in the season once those babies are installed!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

The question should be … should I have tracks or not ?

Answer… yes

Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

My dream machine would be a Polaris Ranger with an enclosed cab on tracks. Back supporting seats, heat, and cargo capacity options galore. The dream of dream machines would be a snowbear!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Quote:

ATV for me is more useful throughout the year. I spend more time riding and using then fixing. Last year I went through 30+” of snow granted I am going slower, I found my gear was not all toss about.

I seemed to enjoy it more. I really like snowmobiling but, it seems to me sleds are over priced 10k+ to 6K+ for a ATV that I use throughout the year and really seem to enjoy.

It is easier to haul a sled out slowly. I only go max of 5 miles so 20 mph is just fine. Maybe that means I am just getting older.

Great points and exactly why I sold my sled this summer and got a Yamaha Grizzly…Another big deal for me was the ability to easy drive my quad off the trailer if I needed it to haul stuff, couldn’t do that easily with the snowmobile as the track studs would have eaten my cement flooring…

mike ice

Snowmobile for me. Fan cooled, long track, reverse.
    I have to agree the ATV’s have more uses, more storage, racks etc. but if we got a real winter with a lot of snow that ATV isn’t going to far without tracks. By the time you add the cost of tracks it’s close to a wash the cost of a sled and a ATV w/tracks.
    If you can have both that’s great but if just for icefishing a sled makes the most sense to me.

tswoboda

Snowmobile for me. I will say wheelers are a lot more convenient, much better for holding gear, a lot better ride, fuel efficient, and more reliable. But the kicker is without a snowmobile, I wouldn’t have been able to fish where I want all of last February and March, that’s a deal breaker for me.

A light, fan cooled, long track sled can be used from ice on to ice off regardless of conditions. The same cannot be said about ATV’s, unless you drop $3-$4k on tracks. Can buy a dam nice fishing sled for that price.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Quote:

Quote:

X2

X3

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

When its -20 and you’ve got an hour ride across the lake, I’d take the snowmobile.

ATV’s are fine if you don’t have a lot of snow but unless you install some sort of wind shield they can be awfully cold. Not to mention some get tough starting.

Box

I have both (Foreman, and three sleds) and I gotta say I really liked the ATV with my rear drop rack and front auger auger carrier it is an ice fishing machine I loved my sleds before I got the ATV for ice fishing, but will also add that the first year I had the ATV we had little to no snow, after three winters of deep stuff.

Last year, we got to where I could really only the sleds unless I stayed to the packed areas or roads, so I loved my sleds again When the fish aren’t biting, a sled is much more fun way to pass the time than an ATV as well! ha!

I do have a windshield on my ATV and would NOT be without one ever again.

For cost reasons, a 12 year old $1500 2-up sled will work perfect for ice fishing. Try to find a decent any age ATV for that… no way. Good luck

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.