Striker Ice suit

• Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Anyone have any reviews on the Striker ice brand floatable suit? I’m thinking about getting one for next season.

hamms
    Mn

My buddy swears by his. Loves all the pockets and high quality suit.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

I hope your really big or really small.

I’ve been looking for the floating stiker lite ice bibs in an XL thinking that I would find an end of season deal. I have pretty much struck out on large/extra large everywhere that sells them.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Love mine! It’s warm as hell. A little to warm if your just fishing in a house. As for the sizes. I’m 6ft 170lbs and a M fits me perfect. I usually wear a large bib but L was too big in the striker bibs.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

I have one and also love it. Very warm and windproof. I have the climate suit so you can zip out the insulation in the bibs and layer as needed inside the coat. Lots of pockets.

ekruger01

I love mine! I have the climate, even without the liners its the warmest suit Ive ever had. So many features on it as well..adjustable inseam, zip out liners, padded knees, fish towels…etc.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I have the climate suit and it is a true 3 season suit.. Removable liner so you can remove insulation. It is super warm and will keep you dry.. I fished LOTW when it was -14 for a high with 40 mph winds and never got cold once..

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

I fished the brainerd tourney this year with my striker ice floating suit. -40 to -50 windchill , no shacks i layered in that weather because of the wind, but that was the only time. i was plenty warm that day, almost sweating. any other time, i am plenty warm without layering. matter of fact, when popping holes and setting up the shack, most of the time i take my coat off because i get too warm.

i love mine.

tucrs
    NW Metro

I have been fishing with mine for two years now. Best suit out there. Biggest thing for me is not getting wet when I kneal down. I owned a Hardwater suit first.

That is the warmest suit I ever owned, my cousin borrowed it… needless to say I ended up buying a Climate this year. The ability to swap out liners and make a suit that is interchangable for different weather conditions is key. Suit has been through some awful weather this year. Freezing rain to -30 and the suit has covered it all.

I like the pockets and the durability of the suit. I basically lived in the thing from Jan-Feb and it has been really amazing how it has worn. I like the snap towels, I ended up getting some spares because I had one that developed a funk to it.

I think it is the best suit for the money. I am using it for spring fishing as well. I would rather wear that then be freezing in my old gear.

Sandbags
    SE Wisconsin

I bought the floating bibs this year and I am not impressed. Several issues. This year they added 4 inches to the suit but forgot to adjust the padded knee area accordingly. My knee pads are so low they are like shin pads. I have an XL. Also the cargo pockets are way to narrow, I can barely get my hands into the pockets and my hands are not huge by any means. The suit is also fraying in many spots. I am going back to my ice armor next year.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Thanks for the feed back guys! Great info here. The adjustable inseam is a plus for me since i’m a shorter gentlemen 5’8″. And I try to get out on the early ice as soon as it’s 5inches plus so the floatable feature will give me some more peace of mind. Not that I plan on falling in ever.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I too bought the bibs and coat in the Camo Brown Climate suit. I have yet to wear it outside; I think my trip to Leach just might bring it out for the 16th of this month.

I’ve been looking for 2 years now and watched this product with interest!

jim-uran
    Mahnomen County, Mn

I’ve been wearing mine for over a year now, and haven’t had a problem yet. I bought the lite version, and it has been plenty warm for me. All of the pockets, and the zippered ventilation are awesome. Padded knees, and padded behind, waterproof, windproof… Plus it floats!!

eyehuntr14
    SE WI

I bought the Reg(heavy) suit a couple of years ago and exchanged it for the Lite! I’m really happy with mine too! This suit is quite warm and so far, durable! I would tell anyone to purchase this suit. With “late ice” coming soon, the flotation gives a guy “piece of mind”!!!

EH14

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Regular or lite? whats the way to go? I mostly fish the metro area.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

do you fish in an ice house or out side in the elements?

If you fish in a house/ you dont need much to stay warm go with the lite suit, If you outside hole hopping in the coldest of cold get the hardwater suit. and lastly if you want the best of both worlds, get the climate suit, removable liner its the perfect 3 season suit.

hnd

the butt padding balled up and fell to the bottom of the compartment in my pair of bibs after a 1 week trip.

fisherman-andy

I have last year’s model hardwater striker ice suit. Although I am satisfied with my suit i’ve had some issues. Previous suit has issues with wear & tear of crotch area, mines tore after 2nd use and was promptly repaired.

The suit keeps me warm but the zipper vents allows some cold air to pass through. And the knee pads are ok on clear ice and fluffy snow but uncomfy on rough ice. You will feel any bits of ice chips.

Also rain or water will soak the knee pad and suit. It hasnt soak through but become damp on the outer layer which is also uncomfy.

Other then those issues it has served me satisfactory. I believe striker ice has addressed these issues in their current model suits this year.

ekruger01

All of those issues have been addressed Andy. I can tell you first hand. It has been mentioned as well to move the knees up a few inches next year by a few of us staffers as well, so that should be fixed too. Keep your eyes on Striker, tons of new stuff coming! Seems like every month new products are added to the line up!

fisherman-andy

Quote:

All of those issues have been addressed Andy. I can tell you first hand. It has been mentioned as well to move the knees up a few inches next year by a few of us staffers as well, so that should be fixed too. Keep your eyes on Striker, tons of new stuff coming! Seems like every month new products are added to the line up!

I havent lost faith in them, not yet. I plan on getting me a climate suit. I have their transporter bag too. But one of my expensive ice rod have snapped while stored in it. Mainly a noodle rod. I think from the movement while stored inside or standing the bag upright. You cannot store any rods with lures on them or you risk the part of breaking the rods. My rods were not stored with lures on.

Even though my striker suit was soak rain didnt seek through and I was dry. However I will never ever buy a pair of Onyx Ice Armor boots again. Walking in 1″ water and 1″-3″ of slush and my feet was drenched wet within 10 minutes. I tried to bear it out half the day till it got so wet and so cold that I had to quit fishing. My $40 walmart rubber bottom snow boots wouldve done a better job…

Denny O
    Central IOWA

[quote) “However I will never ever buy a pair of Onyx Ice Armor boots again.”

Aren’t these a Clam product?
    Your comment seems to imply otherwise as if it is a faulty Stryker product.

fisherman-andy

Quote:

[quote) “However I will never ever buy a pair of Onyx Ice Armor boots again.”

Aren’t these a Clam product?
    Your comment seems to imply otherwise as if it is a faulty Stryker product.

Does it confuse? I figured the name “Ice Armor” is well known in the ice fishing industry? Guess their not? LOL…

Yes I meant the Onyx Ice Armor boots by Clam. If it was Striker Ice I wouldve said Striker boots? Right?

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

I think denny was trying to imply why bring up a clam issue in a striker ice thread.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

I cant wait for the rain gear!

fisherman-andy

Quote:

I think denny was trying to imply why bring up a clam issue in a striker ice thread.

Not sure why this would matter? Maybe I was confused about what he meant about what my experience was? Didnt think it would throw it off topic or that someone would make a fuss about it?

Me mentioning my boots was meant to be more of a gesture or say on my part for an experience I had while out ice fishing on a rainy cold day that had 1″ of standing water and 2″-3″ of slush. Nothing more nothing less.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Anyways, back to the Striker ice suits. Looks like ill probly get the climate suit. I’m always out side staying mobile to find fish and use a portable to warm up once in awhile. Permanent shacks are not my thing for ice fishing so I will need the warmer striker suit for braving the elements.

fisherman-andy

Quote:

Anyways, back to the Striker ice suits. Looks like ill probly get the climate suit. I’m always out side staying mobile to find fish and use a portable to warm up once in awhile. Permanent shacks are not my thing for ice fishing so I will need the warmer striker suit for braving the elements.

I was looking to upgrade to a Climate suit also but I dont know if its going to be much of warmer then hardwater suit. I like the idea that it can be used almost year round. I looked at the specs but it doesnt seem to be as insulated as the hardwater version. Can anyone give more insight on this?

If there are improvements to be made again I may wait another year before purchasing. But end of season are starting to show up on some good deals. Striker has a close out sale on the non-floating hardwater suit while supplies last. Im almost tempted to just pick one up for backup.

tucrs
    NW Metro

I have owned all three, Lite, Hardwater, Climate.

Hardwater – is the warmest… I think too warm for most applications with people have there own built in insulation… Christmas cookies are mine.
    Lite – That is now my spring/fall suit. Great for openwater applications too. Biggest thing for me is keeping the wind out of my suit.
    Climate – Best of both worlds, it is not quite as warms as the hardwater suit but it is more useful. Having a suit I can fish in -10 below then 30 the next day is the biggest thing for me.

Either way they all are good suits and are very useful. I know whatever they come up with next I will end up with. I like there stuff and will support them by buying more.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.