Fishing Purist Jig

• Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Just starting to use the Purist jig this year wondering what everyones favorite colors and size are for bluegills.

BBKK
    IA

I used to use a lot of purists, the chartreuse one in the smallest size. Works great for shallow water hole hopping bluegill.

redrnger

Have a lot f Purists, but black in the small size is my favorite.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Pink! Crappies love em.
    I always seemed to lose more fish with a purist tho.

Salmon comfort

I also miss what seems to be more fish when using the purist. How do you guys fish it? Seems like I can only get bite when I can I constantly move it, no bait.

hoytpower
    buffalo county, wi

I cut some of the plastic off, seems like it covers to much of the hook. I like the bigger orange ones for perch

BBKK
    IA

Keep it moving, when you get a fish hooked up keep reeling. There is not much gap left, so the fish do not get hooked very well. You need to get them in ASAP and offer them no slack line at all.

The places I use them it is 3-4 feet deep and once hooked I pull them right up and out of the hole in one motion.

SPADED
    rochester,mn

yeah i never got a real good hook up rate with them either, now they all reside in my “junk tackle” box… damn shame cause they do catch fish, but missing fish really, really ticks me off!

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

I like to use both size 10 and 12. Mostly pink and red. I’ve always had better luck fishing them with the lightest line possible. A trick that alot of the “old timers” use is to tie your line directly to the purist without the snap hook. Then slide the knot to the side of the eyelet so the purist hangs more horizontal. Imparts a different action that sometimes triggers bites when traditional methods don’t work.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

The small one, black, and a trick one of the old timers showed me is to slip a small piece of lead between the plastic and the metal in the back of the purist. It fishes faster that way, but the fish like the smaller one. Very short jigs while slowly raising from the bottom up several feet. Crappies seem to like this action and gills like jigging in place. For them you may need to pause the jigging. As mentioned, once hooked allow no slack while reeling them up.

blufloyd

black n pink ones. Been a long time ago and never liked hook set even when that was all they bit on….

bigpike

Another trick to keep in your arsenal is too tie your knot tight and fish the jig horizontal, this has proven to be deadly at times dead sticking

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

if you have the patience one of the best baits to get neutral fish to eat……….on the river, pink on sunny days, red or purple when cloudy

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I just put some Purests and Rembrants back in my box about a week ago but have not used them in a long time. Good colors were pink, orange/yellow, black, and purple. We always fished them with a “bouncing down” motion and usually would see the bites on the “free fall” part of the bounce and the line would go slack. I am looking forward to using them again although we used to fish them on jig sticks or fairly stiff rods back then and the rods I carry today are not as stiff.

Good luck!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.