Auger – Strikemaster vs Eskimo

• Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Frustrated that Strikemaster doesn’t even take calls relating to service or parts. I may be going to get a new auger tonight. Is Eskimo a decent auger for the occasional user, and anyone in particular? See they are made (supposedly) in WI, and at least they take calls.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I just got an Eskimo Mako. I have been warned about the chinese engine as far as durability and ease of repair.
    I too plan to only use it occasionally and not as my main auger. So far I have only drilled 4 holes with it and it does work extremely well.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Strikemaster 2.5 Solo you cant go wrong

castle-rock-clown

I’ve got the z71 shark, I know, I know, I must be compensating for some other inadequicy in my life. But regardless, the thing, on its second season has performed flawless. If there’s a Blaine farm and fleet in your area they have the Eskimos on sale, the 33cc stingray $269. And the 43cc Mao for $299.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My Mako was $10 less at L&M in Hayward two weeks ago. If the units last those are good prices for an auger.

Chuck Melcher

Dandorn- Thanks for that link…. in the thread found the reference to h2 outfitters and Time there helped solve my problem. I’ll still end up getting something as I don’t want to cancel the trip. Sucks, but… thanks for the advice everyone.

castle-rock-clown

Cycle guy, I just saw your location, are you on your way to Sturdevant yet?

Chuck Melcher

Not yet…. slowing down a little and thinking I may just wait for parts, and try to pick a different timeline. Going to stop at a local Farm and Fleet for something else, and see what they have.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Scheel’s if Sioux Falls had $249 on Stingray, maybe Eau Claire the same??

castle-rock-clown

This may help. Pull the Carb apart and pluck a wire from a wire brush. Use a vise grips to hold the wire and make sure all orifices and passages are clean. Sometimes fuel will cause a scale blockage and nothing short of mechanical removal will clear it. Take some acetone and wipe down the rubber diaphram, it will soften the rubber, do it sparringly, just enough is good, too much is bad. Reassemble and try her out

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Quote:

My Mako was $10 less at L&M in Hayward two weeks ago. If the units last those are good prices for an auger.

Suzuki,

What you doing up in this neck of the woods? L&M is a great store in Hayward. As good or better than a Fleet Farm, and its in a small community so people don’t have to drive too far for quality products. Did you find any fish in the area?

dld24

I bought a Z51 shark before this season from glens army navy in Grand Rapids got it for 260 with everything tax shipping and was at my door the next day(I do only live an hr and a half from there). I’m not sure the price now, but I remember last year they had them for 260 this time of year…I love the auger so far starts 2nd pull everytime

Chuck Melcher

Quote:

This may help. Pull the Carb apart and pluck a wire from a wire brush. Use a vise grips to hold the wire and make sure all orifices and passages are clean. Sometimes fuel will cause a scale blockage and nothing short of mechanical removal will clear it. Take some acetone and wipe down the rubber diaphram, it will soften the rubber, do it sparringly, just enough is good, too much is bad. Reassemble and try her out

Did all the cleaning… and it has to be the rubber… it is more like plastic now. Cancelled the trip…. but will try that for kicks and see if I can get out locally. Thanks.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Suzuki,

What you doing up in this neck of the woods? L&M is a great store in Hayward. As good or better than a Fleet Farm, and its in a small community so people don’t have to drive too far for quality products. Did you find any fish in the area?

I go to my cabin in Trego about every weekend. I see your from Spooner. Cool. Yes I have gotten into some fish.

fisherman-andy

Quote:

I just got an Eskimo Mako. I have been warned about the chinese engine as far as durability and ease of repair.

I too plan to only use it occasionally and not as my main auger. So far I have only drilled 4 holes with it and it does work extremely well.

It makes me chuckle everytime someone brings up “Chinese” junk or Chinese product. Yes there are products that are made cheaply when there is improper R&D and quality control. Attempts to cut cost in using poor materials etc.

Millions of quality products turn out of China and other countries besides the USA as long as the Manufacturer has good standards.

Eskimo Augers are not Chinese junk. Shimano reels are not Chinese junk. Your brand name household electronic products in your living room is not Chinese junk. If everything was made in the USA we be paying alot more and when that happen you got complaints on prices.

When a good company fails to follow their own standards for quality control & materials there is no logic to blame the country that made it. Blame the Manufacturer for cheaping out on YOU!

As far as a review for the Eskimo augers I would say hands down the most durable and best cutting auger blades on the market. Plus Eskimo/Ardisam has great customer service. P.S. and im a Strikemaster Solo Lazer Pro owner.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

hey woody, did you know that suzuki was up on winni the same weekend we were last year? Just ask him to guide you, errr have the holes drilled out for when you get there.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

Quote:

It makes me chuckle everytime someone brings up “Chinese” junk or Chinese product. Yes there are products that are made cheaply when there is improper R&D and quality control. Attempts to cut cost in using poor materials etc.

Millions of quality products turn out of China and other countries besides the USA as long as the Manufacturer has good standards.

Eskimo Augers are not Chinese junk. Shimano reels are not Chinese junk. Your brand name household electronic products in your living room is not Chinese junk. If everything was made in the USA we be paying alot more and when that happen you got complaints on prices.

When a good company fails to follow their own standards for quality control & materials there is no logic to blame the country that made it. Blame the Manufacturer for cheaping out on YOU!

As far as a review for the Eskimo augers I would say hands down the most durable and best cutting auger blades on the market. Plus Eskimo/Ardisam has great customer service. P.S. and im a Strikemaster Solo Lazer Pro owner.

Last time I checked Honda was made in Thailand….

leadboots72
    Lena Illinois

I have had a 10″ Eskimo Shark 9400sx for 8 years. It was used and 4 years old when I bought it. I replaced the blades when I first got it and I have only needed to sharpen the blades twice since then. I drill HUNDREDS of holes every year. It has worked flawlessly. When I gassed it up this season, it was taking 4 pulls to start. I took the carb apart and cleaned it and now it is back to 1 prime, 1 pull start even when it is 0 degrees outside. The gears inside the transmission are machined and tool hardened. Almost all other brands use cast gears. Machined/hardened are MUCH longer lasting. I repacked the bearings and replaced the grease in the gearbox this year as well and the gears still look absolutely brand new after thousands of holes drilled. I would not trade my old Eskimo for a brand new Jiffy or Strikemaster. The only drawback is the weight, but that is due to the lack of plastic. I do lots of hole hopping and it does wear me out by the end of the day.

ses
    Mississippi River

I have a Mako M43 8″ last year and it has been a good auger for me. Gets a touch heavy after drilling a dozen holes, but it starts, runs and cuts like a champ. This year for some reason the recoil cord was not retracting all the way leaving the handle 8″ from full retraction. I made a call to customer service and informed them of my problem and before I knew it they were asking for my address and informing me I had an entire recoil assembly coming my way via speedy deliver. You want to talk about standing behind a product……I will give Ardisam two solid thumbs up for CUSTOMER SERVICE.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Two people I trust in the engine repair business warned me about the Eskimo engine. One dealt directly with Ardisan. I will form my own opinion with time.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

I have had a 10″ Eskimo Shark 9400sx for 8 years. It was used and 4 years old when I bought it. I replaced the blades when I first got it and I have only needed to sharpen the blades twice since then. I drill HUNDREDS of holes every year. It has worked flawlessly. When I gassed it up this season, it was taking 4 pulls to start. I took the carb apart and cleaned it and now it is back to 1 prime, 1 pull start even when it is 0 degrees outside. The gears inside the transmission are machined and tool hardened. Almost all other brands use cast gears. Machined/hardened are MUCH longer lasting. I repacked the bearings and replaced the grease in the gearbox this year as well and the gears still look absolutely brand new after thousands of holes drilled. I would not trade my old Eskimo for a brand new Jiffy or Strikemaster. The only drawback is the weight, but that is due to the lack of plastic. I do lots of hole hopping and it does wear me out by the end of the day.

A testament to the now extinct Tecumseh engine.

fisherman-andy

Quote:

Two people I trust in the engine repair business warned me about the Eskimo engine. One dealt directly with Ardisan. I will form my own opinion with time.

Suzuki, I respect your views. But really you could say just that about any company or manufacturer out there no matter how good or bad. Did you not mention or already formed somewhat of an opinion of the product being “Chinese engine?”

Isnt this the reason why your here reviewing about the opinions of others? So that you can get a better insight about these companies services and products from a larger audience. People that have actually used these products and services for certain periods of time?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I havent said anything. Plus I bought the damn thing so I must have some faith in it. Actually now that I think about it I heard the info about the engine after I bought it. That very night so I felt a little bummed. Fingers crossed that it holds together for many years. I WANT it to be a good product.

fisherman-andy

Quote:

I havent said anything. Plus I bought the damn thing so I must have some faith in it.

Having faith is a good start. I’ve have owned Eskimo Viper auger and seen & use them for the last 5-6 years with minor issues. Plus at this point most reviews I have seen and issues I have dealt with directly with Eskimo/Ardisam have been very positive.

Proper maintenance and im sure that Eskimo Auger you have will go a long ways for a very long time…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

OK. Now tell us your relationship to Ardisan.

Big fan of Louis like me?

fisherman-andy

Quote:

OK. Now tell us your relationship to Ardisan.
    Big fan of Louis like me?

No affiliations to Eskimo/Ardisam. Really.

Im a Strikemaster fan currently. But I think alot of good products get overlooked or down played by promoters or unknown reasons.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hilarious! You almost sounded like an employee. If this unit lasts as long as my Jiffys I am sold. I do want to add how impressed I am with the actual auger section. Twin chipper blades is incredible. My Jiffys have always worked well with one chipper blade. x2

leadboots72
    Lena Illinois

Quote:

A testament to the now extinct Tecumseh engine.

It is actually one of the few that was made with the Emak engine on it. They are a fantastic engine made in Italy. The operating RPM is 11,500. The only reason Eskimo does not use them anymore is the fact that the EMAK engine costs $700 alone. EMAK was offering them to Ardisam at a loss to try to establish a name here in the US, but the partnership was discontinued after just a couple of years. Ardisam DOES still offer parts and service on these engines even though they have not used them in over 12 years. That is awesome customer service.

Walleyebry
    Isle, mn.

Bought a Shark Z71 about a month ago. If I knew there was a auger on the market that cut like that, I would have bought one years ago. Thought my buddys solo was nice. But I can cut two holes to his one . Took the 10″ auger off and replaced it with the 8″ and the thing really rips. Like to use 8″ auger for round tip ups and when little grand kids are around. Best auger I have ever owned.
    Walleyebry

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.