Unofficial Onalaska IDO Ice Get Together Feb 9th

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Well, lets make it official. Very much appreciate everyone that voted on the poll. We are going with Saturday, February 9th at Onalaska. We’ll have more details to come in the hopefully very near future!
    TENTATIVELY:
    Our plan is Saturday, Mudshark, soldiersdad1, and myself will be out at Shafers and set up a tent/home base area for all of us nice and early. Hopefully the weather will be kind and allow for an afternoon cook out.

Generally the ice is good shape and people are driving by then. I’m planning on my ATV and a trailer and will be very willing to taxi people around.

We are working on 2 locations for Hotel/Motel recommendations. There are a lot in the area and very close by. Trying to achieve a budget orientated and a little nicer place if one chooses. Either way, we want to have fisherman friendly locations to stay at.
    We are are also in the process of locating a back-up restaurant/Bar that could handle our group in the event we have severe wind and poor weather.
    Very interested in hearing any ideas and I’m looking forward to meeting everyone that can make it!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well, that’s the only weekend I’m free in Feb…and it was planned for the FW. But maybe I could just tell here it’s a romantic get-away(?)

130 mi, 2 hours 33 mins from Hudson WI

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Brian, what could be more satisfying than hanging out with US?

BTW – your much closer than me – I’m 181 miles 2hrs 55min pending State Patrol and road conditions

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

I won’t be able to make it, but you should make a point to stop in at Red Pines for food and drink. If you let Larry know you are coming, he might throw something special on the smoker for you guys. It is just up the road from Shaffers.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I was going to keep that “us” part out until we arrived.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I will try to make it !!

Hope to see everyone there !!

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Got it marked on the calender, planning to attend if nothing comes up. Will try to have a batch of apple pie also.

Ed

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Quote:

BK, if you’re trying to keep it a secret until we arrive, how are you going to explain to her US car pooling ???

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Hopefully we can make that! How far out from the landing do u usually get on fish Randy/?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I’ve put you in the box before.

BK, if you’re trying to keep it a secret until we arrive, how are you going to explain to her US car pooling ???

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Hopefully we can make that! How far out from the landing do u usually get on fish Randy/?

I am not a regular to Onalaska so hopefully someone else can give a bit more info. I had fished it very often well before the dredging project when it was most popular to enter from Red Sails (near Shafers). There is an abundance of community spots easily within walking distance to the dredge holes, towards the southern end the airport lights, and other spots around the islands. I’m planning on having an ATV there, and I’m sure others will aid in mobility for everyone.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

The big flat extending east from the runway lights has been good for me in Feb. Everybody else and their brother sets up by the lights leaving the rest of the lake in that area pretty open. The fishing by Shafers seems to usually slow down quite a bit by feb. Big perch like big shiners on tip ups out on the flat. You’ll get roaming crappies, bass, gills, pike, and perch out there too.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

WI license needed?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

WI license needed?

Onalaska is MN/WI boundary water. Either can be used.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Well you better bring Cam with Jeff…Better yet make him drive
    From the landing to where I’m thinking of setting up is about a 1/4 mile out but you can just about fish 100yds out if you like…
    With good ice ( If the weather continues like it is it will be) a guy could drive his truck just about anywhere…..but if not I have a wheeler or 2

Quote:

The big flat extending east from the runway lights has been good for me in Feb. Everybody else and their brother sets up by the lights leaving the rest of the lake in that area pretty open. The fishing by Shafers seems to usually slow down quite a bit by feb. Big perch like big shiners on tip ups out on the flat. You’ll get roaming crappies, bass, gills, pike, and perch out there too.

targa is right about the flats that time of year….but the dredge holes can produce also if conditions are right,work the transitions or the cribs…All sorts of spots to try…I’ll post some maps and stuff soon…

Since this is my home water..I’m going to try to prefish as much as I can, but will also check on report’s from the locals around town…

bigwheel

I ve been doing well out of shafers this past week. I ll try to make it that day.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

As for the last few days, big gills are biting in shallow water. There are full sized pick-ups driving out front of Schaffers and to the South. There are snowmobiles and 4 wheelers making it to the runway lights.

For people who want to fish close to the boat landing, there will be fish still in that area in February. There is enough variety in depth and structure in that area to hold fish all winter. I will be fishing the lake all winter and will try and keep people updated if needed. I rarely post reports anymore, but I will keep people informed through PM’s if asked.

The lake is a great place for a GTG for our area. Hope to see many of you attend.

fireline
    Rochester

Any other date but the 9th

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

If we are going to do like a pot luck on the ice we’ll bring a big pot of chili, and potato soup!!

Ed

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I can throw a tripod/grill in the truck to have with. Firewood & charcoal is no problem. Plus I’m sure a couple local guys would be willing to bring a grill with.

What do you guys want to do? Stoke up a fire around 11:30 and have a BYO lunch on the ice? I’m in and will bring extra to share.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

This is 2 weeks too early, looks like I have a wedding in Onalaska on the 23rd. I’ll have to see if 2 trips are in order.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

I have a big 2 burner camp stove I’m bringing.

Ed

soldiersdad1
    La Crosse, WI

I can bring a Weber, tri-pod and a travel gas grill with wheels, that folds down like the Coleman’s do. Whatever time is decided on is fine with me. I’ll have a few extras to share, too. Just remember, I’m on a seefood diet. I see food, I eat it!

soldiersdad1
    La Crosse, WI

MMMMM! The chili and soup sound really good!!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

MMMMM! The chili and soup sound really good!!

Add the ham sandwiches that I’ll be cooking up and we’ll be golden

Randy…give me a call when you have a chance

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Just a quick update on the fishing and the ice.

Was out Weds for a bit,not much time for fishing but did look around.
    The ice is in great condition-about 11 or 12″ ,solid and clear ( you can see bottom easy in 6ft)and slippery…with the cold snap coming we should have 15-16″ easy by the middle of next week!
    Fishing is a little slow now,It’s a early morning-late afternoon thing it seems….
    I have not heard any tip-up reports but I would imagine that some people are catching something.

I’m attaching a bathymetry map of the dredge-hole area showing the depth,the 2nd map is the whole pool and shows the scale.
    I also marked 3 areas 1) Is the landing @ Shafer’s
    2) is the possible set up area 3) is the landing light area.

I’ll have to ask Brian to re-size these

soldiersdad1
    La Crosse, WI

Just my opinion. I think the set-up area should be closer to landing/parking. It might be easier for bringing food and drinks from the parking areas there. Especially for those that’d be walking and not driving or riding on the lake. I know I don’t plan on dragging all my non-fishing stuff all over the lake. Where it’s marked for possible set-up, that’s a LONG walk from the landing. Like I said, just my opinion. That’s all.

fishiowa93
    Eastern Iowa

Doesn’t look like i’ll be able to make it. Would consider coming up after work on Saturday and fishing all day Sunday though if people are still going to be hanging around….

sikeo22
    SW, Wisconsin

Quote:

We are working on 2 locations for Hotel/Motel recommendations. There are a lot in the area and very close by. Trying to achieve a budget orientated and a little nicer place if one chooses. Either way, we want to have fisherman friendly locations to stay at.

Hey Randy, I may have missed it but were you guys able to recommend any friendly mom and pop motels in the area?

Thanks,
    Ike

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.