Aqua Vu Micro Camera-Using External Power Source?

• pete/ny
    Youngstown NY

I finally got to use my new Aqua Vu Micro camera and was very happy with the pictures and the clarity of them, even in less than ideal conditions. I used the camera for alittle over 6 hours and it died.Does anyone have any thoughts on using some type of External plug-in battery pack like they sell for laptops, Iphones and other electronic devices?You could plug this in to recharge the internal battery or just power the camera for a longer period of time.I don’t want to try anything until I get some better info as I don’t want to fry the camera just yet!!! I will be calling AV to get their thoughts on this and I will report back on what they say. Thanks/ Pete

Palerider77

Does it come with a 12 volt charger? If so a spare flasher battery could be the trick.

pete/ny
    Youngstown NY

no it does not come with a 12 volt charger. One is not avaiable on their website either.Only uses a 110 volt wall charger.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Power inverter and a 12v car battery.

Kinda losses some of the portability though.

Can you get replacement batteries and take along two sets of fully charged batteries?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

PS I’m proud of myself, I didn’t even suggest a Marcum would last longer.

Ingy

Quote:

PS I’m proud of myself, I didn’t even suggest a Marcum would last longer.

Maybe because Marcum doesn’t make a micro camera.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Well, you have me there!

But considering I would need a power inverter and a 12v battery or a generator to get more then 6 hours out of it, I’m thinking the VS-825 would be smaller and last longer.

I thank you for your reply.

BBKK
    IA

USB set-up is your best bet, since it is only a 3.7V system.

You need
    1 male plug like on your power cord (with pigtails)
    1 USB cord off anything old
    1 cig plug to USB adapter
    1 cig plug female (also call electronics plugs) with pigtails.
    2 alligator clips.

Slice off the non USB end of your USB cord. There will be a positive and a ground wire in there along with others. Hook the pos to the pos of your charger plug, the neg to the neg. Wire on the alligator clips to your female cig plug’s pigtails.
    Plug the new USB cord you made into the adapter, the adapter into the female, and then hook your alligator clips to a 12V SLA battery.
    The 12v will be cut down to 5v in the adapter, then will charge your unit off the SLA. Should last a LONG time.
    Total investment, about $25-$30 including battery.

pete/ny
    Youngstown NY

Quote:

Power inverter and a 12v car battery.

Kinda losses some of the portability though.

Can you get replacement batteries and take along two sets of fully charged batteries?

no replacement batteries.The battery is built into the unit itself.12 volt battery may work but am not sure of the cameras voltage.I will be calling them tomorrow,Thanks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Let use know what you find out if you can.

The 12v battery would need a 110v inverter, then plug your wall charger into that.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

It is interesting that the Aqua-Vu web site does not have a 12v adapter for the Mini when Cabela’s has a mail in offer that looks like it includes one.

So if you bought your mini between Oct 1st 2012 and Jan 15th 2013 it appears you can get a free case and adapter just by mailing the form and a copy of your receipt. The form is found at

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Aqua-Vu-AV-Micro-Underwater-Camera/1279468.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Daqua%2Bvu%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=aqua+vu&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

then click on Mail-In Offer

I dropped my form in the mail this morning. Not sure if it is restricted to purchases from Cabela’s only or not. The form gets mailed to Aqua-Vu.

chris_munchow

Guys,

Aqua-Vu has USB cords available for all Micro models that allow charging and running off of external power sources. Both Micro Plus models come with the USB cord, standard Micros and last years units will not have them. Also a cigarette/DC adapter is available that works with the USB cord. These items can currently be ordered by calling the support line and will be on the website soon. The DC adapters were part of this year’s rebate offer and I’m not 100% sure on price at this time. Also as I stated earlier, the units can be charged and used will connected to external power.

pete/ny
    Youngstown NY

Thanks all for the replies. I talked to NIA today from Aqua Vu and she said there is a cord available and she was going to send me one. great little camera and with this cord makes it a lot better. My Son inlaw just ordered 1 of the Refurbished Micros off the AV website for $229.

pete/ny
    Youngstown NY

Nina from Aqua Vu just left me a voice mail saying she was going to be sending me 2 different cords under a Rebate program they are running, guess its the same as the one previously ( thank you ) posted on here from Cabelas. This in my mind is EXCEPTIONAL customer service.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.