Big Buddy Heater problems… Help!

• Mocha
    Park Rapids

My Big Buddy is two years old and never given me a problem. I have the Quick coupler with regulator attached to a #11 tank. Was out this last weekend and after about 2-3 hours it would go out and could not re-start for at least an hour. I am thinking it is a faulty O2 sensor? We tried putting it outside, changed tanks, tried #1 tank but nothing would help. Every time it went out we opened all the doors on the hub and still it would not re-start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Sorry I can’;t be of assistance, but Man has there been alot of posts going around with the Big Buddy heater problems.
    Hope you get it figured out.
    I’m in need of a heater now I sold my Wheel house and was thinking Big Buddy, but not sure right now.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Quote:

Sorry I can’;t be of assistance, but Man has there been alot of posts going around with the Big Buddy heater problems.
    Hope you get it figured out.
    I’m in need of a heater now I sold my Wheel house and was thinking Big Buddy, but not sure right now.

I have never had mine going for 5+ hours until this year so maybe it has always had this kind of problem. I absolutely love it when its working. Thanks for the reply.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Have you tried installing a filter on the left side?

Once i did this,I never have had a problem since?

I think most hardware stores, Home Depot, or Menards has them for around $6.00

Good luck

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Quote:

Have you tried installing a filter on the left side?

Once i did this,I never have had a problem since?

I think most hardware stores, Home Depot, or Menards has them for around $6.00

I was told I did not need the filter if I used the Mr. Heater hose that has the regulator and quick coupler.

Good luck

MIKGILLIE
    Owatonna,MN.

I run mine all day in garage no problems with how long you run it,I have found the tip on pilot gets dusty or dirty and just blow it out with a air hose once in a while keeps it working good.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I didnt want to start a new thead. I was going to buy a BB and have been shopping for some time. Just when I was ready to pull the trigger I witnessed my buddies heater in his Otter. The sunflower heater/cooker by the same company. Puts out massive heat and takes up a lot less space. On-sale at Mills right now for $34. Its worth that just to try it. I may still get a BB down the road but I kinda doubt it.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

I’ve owned a BB for years and I like em. They are a lot safer than sunflowers and are flameless…and catalyzed I think…so they burn a lot cleaner. I used to have a sunflower and I always got a nice buzz after a few minutes of running it in the shack…and combined with a few beers this could make for some good fishing….but always gave me a hangover.

The BB has an O2 sensor like you mentioned but if the heater keeps going out it could be that the sensor IS working and your shack is not ventilated adequeately…especially if you’ve been running it for a few hours. The filter mentioned is also a good idea.

Here is a link to the manual that describes what to try if the heater keeps going out. Hope this helps.

Good luck!!

jp

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Thanks guys for all the replys. I will take it apart and see if any cleaning is needed.

fishon111
    Winnipeg,Mb

Had the same issue new years day, the owners manual (online) describes in detail how to clean properly. Good luck, and I hope the cleaning resolves my problem as well as yours.

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

I have had a buddy heater for years and used in my fip over with no problem. I decided a few weeks ago I wanted the BB, got it for christmas, used it twice with no issues. I used it Sunday and had a big issue and really not sure about them any more. I had the 1st 2 1lb tanks run empty, shut it off to cool down and changed to new tanks, went to re light and here came the problem. I held pilot down for 30-60 sec and then turned to light it, flame came right on and nipple turned cherry orange as I turned it to low postion lock, a blue flame started and got wider as went up the tile till it blew into a 4 ft radius fireball around heater!! I was with friends in another tent who got heater out of mine and tanks off before it burnt my tent up. When it was outside flames were coming out left tank fitting and the middle of the heater? I did not hear or smell any leaks before started heater?? I took back to Mills, they replaced it no questions asked, purchased 12ft hose and will give it a try with a 20lb tank!!

been fishing

make sure you use a filter on it with a bigger tank

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.