Use CAUTION around Fisherman’s Road in LaCrosse!!

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

There was a gentleman who went through the ice there this afternoon. Luckily he was able to get out himself. He did end up with an ambulance ride though.

The ice is very uneven is certain areas, especially around weeds.

erod61

Good to know. I was at the very end of Fisherman’s a week or so ago and found a solid 4″, but there was no snow and I didn’t travel far.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

From what I understand it was on the Black river down by the beach where he went through….
    Way to much current to go out there this early in the ice season….

mrCROWLEY138
    La Crosse, WI

I’ve been fishing south of the beach towards the bridge and have found a solid 4+ inches of ice everywhere I went. I guess you just never know. I haven’t been venturing out towards the middle of the channel though.

mrglax

I was in catgut this morning and a guy came past me on a sled and them made the turn out toward the Black River. Hope he stayed dry.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

I was in catgut this morning and a guy came past me on a sled and them made the turn out toward the Black River. Hope he stayed dry.

As they say in Westby…..OOf-Da…..

jld
    Holmen

I have seen guys fishing in Shopko Bay and directly underneath the I-90 bridge this past weekend.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I guess I’m just to old now…
    I’m not that quite brave yet

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I think anglers know the ice better than skiers.

Cross-country skier on Mississippi River breaks through ice near La Crosse
    Article by: Associated Press
    Updated: January 2, 2013 – 2:36 PM

LA CROSSE, Wis. – A cross-country skier was taken to the hospital after breaking through the ice on the Mississippi River.

The man was skiing from La Crosse to Galesville when he broke through and became submerged Tuesday afternoon. A La Crosse Tribune ( http://bit.ly/Vvta8D) reporter found the man after he managed to crawl out of the hole about 30 feet from shore and alerted authorities.

First responders rushed the man to Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse. His condition was not available.

___

Information from: La Crosse Tribune,

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

In my world, the classification of a person falling through the ice is irrelevant. The point being made was to watch the ice conditions. It could have just as easily been an ice fisherman. But, does that make it any different? Are fisherman really held at a higher standard that they are superior in ice conditions? If ice fisherman are so much smarter, why would one park a full size pick-up with a trailer on 5″ of ice? I witnessed that very thing and there was no ski rack on the top of the vehicle

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.