Best lighting source?

• southernmn
    Owatonna, MN

Hey guys,
    I have recently bought a Clam Bigfoot 4000T hub style shelter and tend to do a fair amount of night fishing. Im just looking for your opinions and thoughts as to what you use for a light source? These days theres so many different lanterns (both propane and also now LED), hoping you guys can give me a few answers as to what you would use to light up your shack.
    Thanks in advance!

BBKK
    IA

I’ve always liked a propane lantern when fishing at night, except with the flipovers. In the flipovers I have LEDs mounted. I’m not a real fan of the LED lanterns, they seem to break easily since they are mostly plastic. A good dual mantle coleman propane is the ticket. Maybe two if you have a big hub or multiple guys fishing.

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Last year I bought the brightest leds rope lights I could find great for fishing walleye but wanted more light just purcheshed nortstar latren from colmen it puts out like 1500 lumens I like it brite in the flip over for nite crappie fishing just my personal prefrence

prospector
    Wyoming

Check out the Tek 4 line up from Ryobi.

I’m super pleased with this particular product so far:

http://www.xledpanellights.com/samsung-smd5630-waterproof-aluminum-shell-rigid-led-light-bar-p-438.html

http://www.ledlightprice.com/samsung-smd5630-waterproof-rigid-led-light-bar-p-212.html

They are cheap, well put together with robust 12v male and female barrel jacks; they can easlily be wired in series. I’ve passed current through it and powered 12v computer speakers in my trap. Best of all, the light emitted is far superior to 90% of the LED pucks, strips or headlamps available. These are not monochromatic and facilitate good depth perception. I’m planning to order a bunch real soon for buddies and my boat, direct from Hong Kong so it takes some time to get them. I was given a tracking # from http://www.ledlightsworld.com when I ordered them. If anyone runs across a US based vendor, please let me know!

In the picture with the kennel, I’m about 18′ from the corner with a single bar held out. These things are way bright (over 1000 lumens), you’ll probably need a dimmer!

G-raff
    Rochester, MN

I use the Frabil LED 4 light. I think it gives off plenty of light and stores easily until needed.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Last year I picked up a LED rope light from Northernbrightlights. This rope light is the brightest one I have found. I also picked a lith-ion battery pack from them. It is supper small and light – about the size of a small cell phone. It will power the rope light for 10 + Hrs without a recharge and comes with a supper small charger that works great. The battery is really powerfull. Last year we used it to jumpstart the ATV when the battery died. I think you could start a small car with it. Take a look I think it may be what you are looking for:
    http://www.northernbrightlights.com

jigawhopper
    Ellsworth,WI

I like my good old propane lantern better than the LED rope light in my voyager. One nice thing about the lantern is the portability. You can use the light while tearing down your shack and light your way walking off the ice or fishing on a bucket on those nice nights…

southernmn
    Owatonna, MN

Thank you for all the quick replies, i’ve been looking and think i’m going to go with the Coleman® Two-Mantle InstaStart™ QuickPack Lantern. Runs off of a propane cylinder and puts out around 1700 lumens on its highest setting. Should be more than enough for my portable shack.
    Thanks for all the help!

vern
    Richfield, MN

Sounds like a good choice. Propane gives off some extra heat too which is nice. I’ve used this smaller one for years.

http://www.coleman.com/product/perfectflowtrade-compact-lantern/2000009033?contextCategory=1010

I switched to the single mantle lantern after breaking a few globes on my old double mantle lantern. It has thick glass & is very durable. The single slip-on mantles last a long time too. Plenty of light in my Fish Trap Guide.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Thank you for all the quick replies, i’ve been looking and think i’m going to go with the Coleman® Two-Mantle InstaStart™ QuickPack Lantern. Runs off of a propane cylinder and puts out around 1700 lumens on its highest setting. Should be more than enough for my portable shack.

Thanks for all the help!

I have one of those and have been using it for years (not the quick pack, but this one http://www.campmor.com/coleman-2-mantle-propane-lantern.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=85414WC&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword} ). Make sure you buy extra mantles and put them in your gear so you always have them. A lighter too so you can burn the mantles if you need to replace them on the ice.

They are nice units though. I dropped mine a couple years ago and shattered the globe. $12 later I was right back in business.

They run for a long time on one bottle, and I NEVER have mine on high in my 1 man. I used it today, not for light but for heat. After about 15 minutes on the 3rd click (about medium) I was sweating and shedding clothes. High would fry you in a 1 man unless you have some windows open.

Al Case

I absolutely love this light. I use it in my Hub and in my flip up. It works great for both. I cleaned Northern Tool out of them a couple of years ago. It runs on 4 double A batteries and is more than enough light. You have the option of using the outer ring or the inner ring or both rings at once. They are very bright, last a long time

and I use them for my boat, too.

I don’t think that Northern carries them anymore.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-48-LED-UFO-Camping-Tent-Umbrella-Night-Light-Lamp-Outdoor-New-DN00-/181039353334?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D400339247384%26ps%3D54

If you search for them on eBay you can get free shipping for the same price low price of $5 that is the same model as the one above, too.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Check out the clam tube light if they still make them. Comes w/ velcro straps to attach to flip over tubing. Its easily rechargeable, comes with a standard ac outlet plug charger, cigarette plug charger, and alligator clip charger. It also comes in handy for many other things such as underhood vehicle work, home repairs, etc.

And remember lanterns require cool down before packing, LEDs obviously don’t!

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

And remember lanterns require cool down before packing, LEDs obviously don’t!

Absolutely! Don’t pack it away until it is cooled off. I usually use mine to walk back to the truck with, if its dark, then I just let it cool down as I pack the truck. If I’m using it in the daylight like I did yesterday, I’ll just shut it off before I start packing up my gear and it will be long cooled off before I pack it away for transport. I transport it in a small cat litter bucket (the square one) with a spare jacket wrapped around it so it cant move. Make sure you be careful with gas lanterns, if you knock them around too much the mantles will break.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.