Pool 8 Ice Newbie

• mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Yesterday was the first time on the ice on Pool 8 for Bret and I and it was the first time ice fishing for Merle, a friend who was experiencing his first time fishing with the two “Grumpy Old Men”. When we pulled in to park at 7 bells we noted that it was a very popular spot and wondered if there would be an open spot to fish but it’s a rather large area so we headed right to a spot that had been very good to us in the past, a steep drop off that was holding some nice gills in about 17′ of water. As usual Bret and I made ‘swiss cheese’ of the 4 – 5″ ice and quickly found some hungry gills. Dark colors seemed to the bait of choice with Bret coaxing them in with a black Lil Cecil tipped with a waxie and Merle and I with Froggy color Diamond Jig and Froggy Gill Pill and a waxie. We all took home a nice fish fry and mine made for an awesome breakfast this morning.
    Bret was kind enough to let Merle use his Showdown flasher and teach him how to read it and that was about all it took for Merle start pulling in some nice gills. Merle also spent some time with my LX-5 as well and it won’t surprise me if a new electronics purchase isn’t too far down the road.

I think we have converted another “Newbie” to ice fishing as Merle texted me this morning that he is on his way to Fleet Farm for more ice gear and asked if I needed anything. Now that question always makes me think – – – want or need. There’s always something that I want but after my order to Custom Jigs & Spins on Thursday I don’t think there’s anything that I really NEED right now.

That was a great time Bret and Merle and it felt great to be out ‘walking on water’ again, can’t wait for tomorrow.

The Pic’s are some of Merle’s gills of the day.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Great read buddy Mike, it was a blast

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Always fun to have a newbie catch quality fish

yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

What a great way and area to start a fun outdoor sport. Good to hear you found some fish. Cpetey and I plan on hitting it hard on Tuesday.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Brett and MikeHD..

What a perfect combo for a first time out on the ice !!!

Great job all !!!

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Great report. I hope to be on the ice chasing those critters soon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.