Need Help on 1st Rod for Beginner … which TB?

• KeithNyst

I’m a beginner getting ready for retirement and want to pick up where I left off over 40 years ago. I read a lot of the posts; very helpful. For a first rod, I will be concentrating on walleye, mostly on Vermilion where we’ll be retiring to. Will primarily fish in an Otter Pro Wild (so thought a 28″ would be best).

I’m thinking about buying a TB 28″ Medium Walleye Sweet Heart. Need advice on which handle. It looks like TB offers 4 handle variations: Locking Tennessee, Hidden Hood, Spinning Reel Seat, and plain cork … all Greek to me, excetp the spinning real seat. Which one should I get and why?

Any other advice appreciated. P.S. – I’m thinking about a Shimano Sahara 750 for a reel.

Thanks, Keith

Keppinhiemer

Keith,
    Most of that depends on what you like, but the gear you have your eye on is all quality stuff. The handle i like to use is the plain cork handle, because you can place the reel wherever it feels best. I use electrical tape to secure the reel to the cork and its as solid as any reel seat.
    Josh

Chode2235

I would probably go with the TB 28″ perch sweetheart. I have a 32 inch, and love the extra length, but you have to be able to set the hook effectively in your shanty. Perch sweetheart is a little bit lighter and handles 1/8oz jigging spoons a bit better (which is probably going to be your bread and butter on those Big V walleyes).

length and action are key not only for fighting fish, but more importantly in how you deliver the lure. Thats why I like the lighter perch sweetheart in the longer length (but if I fished inside all the time I would get it a bit shorter).

Its my primary walleye rod and I fish Vermilion once in a while, and LOW a lot in the winter.

I would go for the shorter handle (with the TB decal in the butt), not the one that flairs out at the end, and use electrical tape. The reel seat is unnecessary and unwanted IMO.

I would get the outside guides, as you’ll probably be hole hopping or wanting to be outside on those 25 degree days and the ice can freeze up in your guides pretty quickly.

Other advice would be to pick up a cheaper combo too (lots of good options from Frabill St. Croix etc), for bobber fishing or to have another lure ready… or go forbid your reel decides to misbehave and fall apart on the ice.

You’ll want to take advantage of using both your lines. Typically I’ll be actively jigging a spoon and minnow, with a bobber and minnow sitting next to me. Lots of fish on the bobber line over the years.

Reels: IMO you cant really beat the Shimano 500 sized reels at whatever price point you want to plunge in at. I have both the Sienna and the Sedona reels, and both are great values for the $$. I have a Sedona 750 sized reel, and its great, but I like the 500 sized a bit better for ice.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Keith,

x2 on almost everything Chode said. That’s a ton of great advice!

Just got my very first TB rod a couple days ago(28″ perch SW w/outside guides and tennesee handle). I agree on not needing a reel seat and much prefer using electrical tape. Personal prefernce for handles after that.

As for length I know a lot of guys here really like rods 32″ or sometimes even longer. For me I prefer 28″ and prefer less for panfish rods just because of space in portable. If I had my way I wouldn’t have a rod longer than 24″ for convenience but it’s not a perfect world.

I got the outside guides and was suprised that they really weren’t that big. I’m heading to LOTW in 9 days to test it out but think I would go that route again unless it was completely dedicated for in shelter use.

Last but not least, take the advice on buying a cheaper or even cheap rod for bobber use. Great way to up your catch without draining your wallet.

Welcome to IDO, it’s been a big help to me and every one has been really helpful!!!!

wetsleeves
    Iowa

I also agree on the Perch SH it was my first TB rod and is still my favorite. My rods (2 perch SH 1 walleye SH and a deadstick) are all 32″ and while i very much prefer to be outside i have no problems setting the hook with the length of them when the weather keeps me in my Otter lodge. I like the extra length for more forgiveness at the hole. I have outside guides on everything as well. With REC guides on one

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Welcome to IDO Keith!

I really can’t add much to what the others have already covered… Outside/Rec Guides are the way to go, either 28″ or 32″ are fine, a lighter rod is better (I have a Perch SH myself), no reel seat, and the smaller reel is better.

Also, this year based on input from fellow IDO members I picked up a Precision Quick Tip from Tuned up Custom Rods and I’m loving it so far based on my first trip up to Red Lake last weekend. Here is a previous thread with even more info about selecting the right rod.

TUC Ice Rods

I know that John and Adam from TUCR both frequent IDO so you can always send them a quick PM with questions

tucrs
    NW Metro

Why not go 30″.
    I would always go REC guides just because they are so light and you lose nothing on the rod.

Regular cork is a great choice on a rod. That is my personal favorite and recent I have been using goat rings now to affix the reel one. Works great and a little easier to use when it is cold.

About your reel choice. I may suggest a little smaller Sedona 500, it is a very nice reel and a great size. I run 4lb line on mine I have a few now because retailers are closing out this years model.

KeithNyst

All, thanks for all the great feedback. Based on all your feedback, I’ll narrow it down to either a 28″ TB Perch SH and also look at the Tuned Up Precision. Regardless ow which one, the rod will end up with a plain cork handle, ouside REC guides and a Shimano Sedona 500. I’ll also pick up a cheaper combo for the other hole.

Saturaday I’ll be out in the area of Tuned Up and will try to stop by. Again, thanks everyone for the help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.