Otter Pro Thermal vs Non-thermal

• Stihl21
    Colorado

Looking at getting an Otter Pro Cottage this season. Found the older Pro with 900D and black interior (I’m guessing 2010-2011 season model). Or shell out another $145 for the thermal version with upgraded frame. Unfortunately no local stores sell Otter so I can’t see them in person. And although they do sell Frabill and Clam, I think I would like to try an Otter.

From what I have read, positives to thermal being heat retention – less flapping in the wind – and less to no condensation.

Looking for experience from both on either thermal is that much better, or maybe the older black interior is good enough for a few years. Just wonder how much condensation builds – not looking to take a shower on the ice from it dripping down. Also, how does the black interior hold up? Does it develop pinholes of light that over time turn into golf ball sized because the black wearing away?

I have looked online at the Otter Wild version as well, unfortunately they don’t piece them out which would save a lot on shipping, it is well over $100 for the “oversized” package. And that puts me about the same price of the Pro version anyway.

Thank you for your suggestions and opinions!!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I would recommend the newer model with the upgraded frame and thermal cover. I have both and I really enjoy the model with the thermal cover. The added weight goes almost unnoticed and the overall construction of the Otter thermal quilting is beyond any of the competition.

scottie56005

Look at it as an investment. You get what you pay for in this area. Go with an Otter thermal and you wont have any regrets. I have a Clam thermal. I love the thermal compared to the regular single wall. Clam’s quality doesn’t compare to Otters though. I have a feeling you will be all smiles once you step foot in it.

JohnE

Got the thermal in January last year and love it. No flapping in the wind, stayes dry inside and holds the heat great. Friends are looking to upgrade after using a thermal. No question in my mind, thermal if you want to stay out there in the wind and major cold.

Stihl21
    Colorado

Thank you for the suggestions – I really appreciate it!!

loren_keizer

I do not have an Otter but have another brand in a couple thermal models. I would be hard pressed to buy anything other than thermal anymore. As stated the extra weight really is unnoticeable. I have been on enough cold weather trips where I have been glad that I had the thermal canvas.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I went with the Otter Wild with the thermal top, no condensation, and a bit cheaper than the Pro. I am very happy with that choice.

jim-c
    Minot, ND

I’ve had a bunch of different Otters. Green and purple canvas covers, and blue and blue camo nylon covers. After using the new thermal style Otter last year it would be hard for me to go back to the non-insulated style. The Pro XT900 cover is just warmer and is really nice in the wind up here in North Dakota. No flap and sets up nicer than any other Otter I’ve used. Thermal all the way for me…

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.