Which Wheel House

• Bergy21

Looking at buying new wheel house. Would like input on which out there people like the best. Biggest thing I am debating is the aluminum vs. steel frame. I like the idea of the aluminum frame for no rusting and less weight, but worried about it holding up to the pounding. Other considerations?

1. Weight
    2. Rusting,
    3. Strength
    4. Fit and finish
    5. Custom built
    6. Layout
    7. Size – 6.5 feet wide vs. 8 feet wide, 16 foot length plus “V”.
    8. Bunk locations – would like 4
    9. Price

I have checked out Yetti, Perfromance, King Crow, Custom Cottages, Ultra Shack, etc..

timmy

As far as holding up to the pounding……aluminum snowmobile trailers have been the norm for a long long time. I have had a steel framed wheelhouse and my next one WILL be aluminum.

T

washburn
    Aitkin Mn

I have my 2nd Ice castle and would rather have an aluminum frame because of the rust and a rusted frame is weaker than aluminum. Definatly go 8’wide so you can have bunks in back. Last year i had a rv edition and it was too cramped, get the most open layout with just what you need. Adding things you need later is easier than dealing with things you don’t. Cabinets and lighting are two things I will upgrade this summer, Hole lights aren’t necessary, would rather have them in more useful positions. get a wiring schematic from the builder too in case you need to add something

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

If you want to sleep 4 I wouldnt go any smaller than 8X16 plus V, any shorter and you wont be able to get 8 holes spread out decently. Also with 6.5ft wide once all 4 bunks are out you cannot move around so 8ft makes a big difference. I have only fished out of ice castle and have no complaints. but for design I would go simple to get the most fishing area as possible.

thegun
    mn

If your going to use it just for ice fishing and only haul it on short trips without and big loads then you may want to go with aluminum, If your like me and put things to the test then steel may be for you! I built mine out of steel! and it held up fine on a 8000 mile round trip and the second 4000 miles it had well over 3000 pounds of gear cariboue fish and horns in it!

scottie56005

Buy a Custom Cottage from Eric. Go to Shakopee and check them out!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.